Ukraine visa support

​​​​The Australian Government remains committed to supporting Ukrainians and their family members who are temporarily in Australia as a result of the war in Ukraine.

The Department of Home Affairs is progressing visa applications from Ukrainian nationals as a priority, particularly for those with a connection to Australia.

Since 24 February 2022 the department has granted over 11,500 visas to Ukrainian nationals in Ukraine and thousands more to Ukrainian nationals elsewhere. Nearly 11,400 Ukraine national visa holders have since arrived in Australia. 

The Australian Government made an offer of a temporary humanitarian stay for Ukrainians in Australia, which has since expired. For more information for those who accepted the offer, please see Information for Ukrainian nationals who accepted the offer of temporary humanitarian stay before 31 July 2022.

The Australian Government acknowledges that there will be some Ukrainian nationals who were unable to accept the offer of a temporary humanitarian stay, which ended on 31 July 2022.

Ukrainians and their families who are in Australia and wish to extend their stay can also access standard visa pathways, including the skilled, family, student and visitor visa programs. If a ‘no further stay’ condition (8503, 8534, 8535 or 8540) applies to a Ukrainian’s current visa, they can apply to have that condition waived by completing a no Further Stay waiver request.

The department encourages Ukrainian nationals that want to come to Australia or extend their stay to explore their visa options.

Ukrainian nationals who have arrived on a temporary visa and are unable to access standard visa pathways or cannot return to Ukraine, may apply for a Bridging visa E (subclass 050) or a Protection visa (subclass 866).

For more information on Bridging visa E or a Protection visa see Other pathways for Ukrainian nationals in Australia.

Applying for a visa to travel to Australia

Making a visa application

Anyone wishing to make a new application for a visa to travel to Australia should consider options relevant to their circumstances, including urgency of travel. Close family members can apply on behalf of their family members in Ukraine. For information about visas, you can Explore visa options.

If you are a Ukrainian national with a relative in Australia and you apply for a Visitor visa, you can make an application under the Tourist stream and provide details of your Australian relative. You do not need to make an application under the Sponsored Family Visitor stream.

Getting help with your visa application

If you need help to apply for a visa see Who can help you with your application.

For assistance with migration agent appointments, you can access our Translating and Interpreting Service.

If you do not have a travel document

Ukrainian nationals who wish to make a visa application to travel to Australia must hold one of the following:

  • a valid passport, which may include:
    • passports that have been extended by an Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine or the Ukraine State Migration Service with an inscription stating the extended validity date
    • additional minors (under 16) inscribed in a parent/guardian’s passport notated by an Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine or the Ukraine State Migration Service
  • a certified Certificate of Identity (Свідоцтво що засвідчує особу) issued by an Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine by a neighbouring country
  • an internal passport in the form of an ID-Card, that states in both Ukrainian and English:
    • full name
    • date of birth
    • place of birth.

An internal passport in the form of a booklet is not valid for grant of a visa or travel to Australia. If you have these documents you should still provide copies with your application to help confirm your identity.

If you have problems making an online application

If you hold one of the above travel documents and you have difficulty making an application online, you can contact us via the Global Service Centre.​

Do not enter incorrect or false passport details to submit an online visa application. If you have submitted incorrect information with a visa application, you should advise the department through ImmiAccount.

If you cannot obtain a valid travel document

If you do not hold a valid travel document you will not be able to travel.

Ukrainian nationals who do not hold a valid international travel document can seek advice from the Ukraine State Migration Service or their nearest Ukraine Embassy or Consulate.

The Government of Ukraine has advised that a Ukrainian Certificate of Identity can be issued by the Embassies and Consulates of Ukraine in states neighbouring with Ukraine, such as Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania.

If you have an application in process you can upload documentation supporting your attempts to obtain a travel document, to your online application in ImmiAccount. We will contact you to discuss your application.

If you already hold a valid visa and you are unable to have your travel document extended, or you are unable to obtain a Ukrainian Certificate of Identity, advise the department.

Making an appointment for an immigration medical assessment

Only if requested to do so by a departmental officer, visa applicants outside Ukraine can make an appointment for an immigration medical assessment with a registered panel doctor. A list of panel doctors outside Australia is available on the department’s website at Offices outside Australia

Children travelling with one parent

Australia recognises that the crisis in Ukraine means that some children may be travelling across international borders with only one parent. Australia is committed to ensuring the welfare of children. To travel to Australia, a minor must have permission from both parents.

If you cannot provide this consent, you can make an application with available documentation. We will contact you to discuss your application. 

Entering Australia

From 6 July 2022, the way you travel to and from Australia has changed. People entering Australia do not need to provide evidence of vaccination status.

Additional travel advice

For up-to-date Australian Government travel advice see Ukraine Travel Advice & Safety. 

Airlines may also have specific requirements that you need to meet.

Visa and settlement support in Australia

The ImmiCard is an official, secure immigration credential issued by the Department of Home Affairs. They are only issued to eligible foreign nationals who do not have, or are unable to obtain or use, an identity document of their country of citizenship to establish their identity for visa grant and travel to Australia, and enrol for services in Australia.

The travel documents listed in Applying for a visa to travel to Australia as acceptable for Ukrainian nationals to establish their identity for visa grant and travel to Australia are also considered as acceptable to enrol for services in Australia.

ImmiCards are only issued in exceptional circumstances to clients who are unable to obtain the above-mentioned identity documents.

More information on accessing government services online is available at About MyGov.

Interpreting and Translating Services

Ukrainian nationals arriving in Australia and their families have access to free interpreting and translating services. The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National, 131 450) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Home Affairs for people who do not speak English, and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.

Translation of documents is also available through our Free Translating Service. Ukrainian nationals arriving in Australia are encouraged to call The Migration Translators on 1800 962 100 for more information.

Contact Us

Enquiries can be directed to:​

Global Service Centre:

In Australia Phone: 131 881

Outside Australia Phone: +61 2 6196 0196

pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends