Hamas-Israel Conflict: Visa Support and financial assistance

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Note: The information on this page will be updated frequently.

The Department of Home Affairs is progressing visa applications from people impacted by the conflict. We are prioritising visa assessments for those with an urgent need for travel.​

Information on seeking a visa to travel to Australia is available here ​- Explore​ visa options.​​

Emergency financial assistance to people from Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories

The Australian Government is providing $2 million for emergency financial assistance to people from significantly affected areas of Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories who have arrived in Australia on temporary visas and who have been assessed to be in financial hardship.

Assistance will be provided through Australian Red Cross as small cash payments/vouchers that can be used to meet the basic needs of people who have recently arrived and are impacted by the conflict to support their stay in Australia. For example, food, medicine, and shelter.

How to apply

People who have arrived from significantly affected areas of Israel and the Occupied Palestinian territories who wish to apply for assistance may do so by submitting an application. Further information on how to apply can be found on the Australian Red Cross website.​

Support for exiting Gaza

The Australian Department of Home Affairs has the responsibility for managing visa applications.

Exiting Gaza is difficult and unpredictable.

The ability of the Australian Government to help is extremely limited.

The Gaza border is controlled by other authorities who assess requests to assist foreign nationals and immediate family members. Gaza border authorities have put tight limits on who can cross.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) must work within the capacity of the system established for foreign nationals seeking to leave. DFAT is prioritising assistance to Australian citizens, permanent residents and immediate family.

Immediate family members are a spouse/de facto partner, parent and minor (under 18) children of Australian citizens or permanent residents.

Meeting requirements for an Australian visa does not mean an entitlement to consular assistance. It also does not mean that other authorities will automatically allow people to leave where they are.​

Making a visa application to travel to Australia

If you wish to apply for a visa to travel to Australia you should consider options relevant to your circumstances. This includes urgency of travel. Close family members can apply on behalf of their family members in affected areas. For information about visas, you can Explore visa options.

Extending your stay in Australia

If you wish to extend your stay, there are a range of visa options available. ​This includes the skilled, family, student and visitor visa programs. For more information, see Explore visa options​.

Check your visa expiry date and visa conditions in VEVO, the myVEVO app or your visa grant letter.​

Bridging visa E (subclass 050)

People from significantly affected areas of Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories who have arrived on a temporary visa and are unable to access standard visa pathways or return, may apply for a Bridging visa E (subclass 050) (BVE)​

This includes Gaza, border areas with Gaza, border areas with Lebanon closed by Israeli authorities and the West Bank (excluding East Jerusalem). It is based on areas marked as do not travel by the Australian Government. For more information see Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories Travel Advice & Safety | Smartraveller.

A BVE is a short term bridging visa that allows eligible individuals to stay in Australia lawfully while they resolve their immigration status by obtaining a substantive visa or making arrangements to depart Australia.

In order to apply for a BVE, a person must not hold any other visa (they become an unlawful non-citizen) or already hold a BVE. There is no application fee.

People from significantly affected areas of Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories on a BVE will have full work rights, will be able to access Medicare, and are eligible for free Translating and Interpreting Services. BVE holders may also be able get assistance to return home if they wish to do so voluntarily, depending on the individual’s circumstances. 

It is the responsibility of the individual to maintain their lawful status in Australia by continuing to hold a valid visa and find out what they need to do if their visa is expiring or has expired

People from significantly affected areas of Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories and their family members who meet the requirements for a departure BVE may remain in Australia lawfully as the holder of a BVE until they are able to make arrangements to depart Australia.

The BVE ceases if the holder departs Australia. This bridging visa does not provide a right of re-entry to Australia.

BVE holders may also be able get assistance to return home if they wish to do so voluntarily, depending on the individual’s circumstances. 

​Getting help with your visa application

If you need help to apply for a visa, see Who can help you with your application.

For assistance with migration agent appointments, you can access our Translating and Interpreting Service.​

Making an appointment for an immigration medical assessment

Only make an appointment if requested to do so by a departmental officer. A list of panel doctors outside Australia is available on the department’s website at -​ Offices outside Australia

Panel doctors in Israel are open.

We are aware of the limited panel doctor availability in Gaza. If you are required to complete health examinations and are living in Gaza, the Department will work with you on alternative arrangements based on your individual circumstances.

Children travelling with one parent

Australia commits to ensuring the welfare of children. To travel to Australia, a minor must have permission from both parents.

If you cannot provide this consent, you can make an application with available documentation. We will contact you to discuss your application. 

Int​e​rpreting and Translating Services

Free interpreting and translating services are available to affected people and their families in Australia. The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National, 131 450) is ​​provided by the Department of Home Affairs. It assists people who do not speak English, and agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.

Translation of documents is also available through our Free Translating Service. Impacted people​ arriving in Australia are encouraged to call The Migration Translators on 1800 962 100 for more information.

Contact us​​

If your circumstances have changed and you lodged a visa application online, you can update your details in ImmiAccount. If you are from Gaza, you can also choose to update us of some changes through our webform.

If you need to contact the Department, you can Contact u​s.​

Global Service Centre:

In Australia Phone: 131 881​

Outside Australia Phone: +61 2 6196 0196​

pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends