pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends

Freedom of information

Freedom of information laws allow access by the general public to data held by national governments.

​​​​​​​​Before making​​​ your freedom of information (FOI)​ request 

Check yo​​u have the right department

We may not be holding the information you need. Check to see if the information you need is held by another department, or another state or territory government agency. 

Check Imm​iAccount or VEVO

The information you need may be available in VEVO​ or your ImmiAccount​

Check your o​​wn records

Check to see if you or your migration agent already has the required document. 

Check o​​ur website for published statistics or information

We publish a lot of information on our website, including visa and citizenship statistics. 

Check our​​ disclosure log

We publish a wide range of non-personal documents, including reports, briefings, submissions and statistics in our disclosure log​​.


Requests to ​​amend information 

If you are making a freedom of information request to amend information, check if this should be done another way. 

If you are an Australian citizen and need to amend your personal records see Amending Name or Date of Birth details for Australian Citizens. If you have applied for Australian Citizenship, you will need to request the amendment as part of your citizenship application.

If you are an Australian citizen seeking to change or correct your personal details, such as your name or date of birth, see Change a citizenship certificate. This is to ensure that your evidence of Australian citizenship matches departm​ental records. If an amendment to information under FOI would result in your evidence of Australian citizenship being different to your records, we would refer this to our citizenship section.

See Change or Correction of Name or Date of Birth for Australian Citizens 

If you are waiting for a visa application decision, you must tell us about any changes in your circumstances that may affect an answer to questions in your application. To do this, complete the ‘Notification of change of circumstances’ form which is available from ‘Update details’ in your application in ImmiAccount​.

Tell us if you have supplied any incorrect information in your answers. Complete the ‘Notification of incorrect answer(s)’ form, which is available from ‘Update details’ in your application in ImmiAccount.