- We are committed to your professional and personal growth.
- We support our people through our Performance, our Capability and our Culture to ensure that you feel valued while performing your role.
- We use our Employee Value Proposition to shape your experience in the Department.
Be part of something bigger
Working at the Department will allow you to be part of something bigger, to share in the purpose of building a safe and prosperous nation.
With us you can:
- shape migration policy
- deliver innovative disaster recovery solutions
- drive social integration and inclusion programs
- counter radicalisation
- tackle serious crime
Our work is diverse, complex and cutting edge, so it is essential that our workforce is multi-skilled, adaptable and responsive to emerging circumstances.
We value the contribution each person makes and every employee is important.
Grow your career
We are committed to building career pathways and providing greater mobility options to staff.
Working for us, you will be exposed to a range of varied and interesting work. You will have the opportunities to specialise in a profession, participate in a secondment, undertake formal study, change career direction or climb the career ladder.
Make time for all parts of your life
We understand that work life harmony is important for everyone. We are committed to providing staff with access to a range of flexible work practices. This enables employees to lead healthy, balanced lives and make positive contributions to our work, teams and mission.
Join a connected team of professionals
Our Department is dynamic and we are always building new ways of working. We encourage staff to be data driven, embrace new challenges, value different perspectives and encourage innovation. You connect with others, sharing and learning from each other, every day.
Be your authentic self
At the Department of Home Affairs, we celebrate diversity and we foster and encourage inclusion through our culture and diversity initiatives. The Department is recognised as an
Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) 2022 Bronze Employer for our ongoing efforts and excellence in advancing workplace diversity and inclusion.
The Department will support you to be your authentic self through:
- diversity champions — SES who advocate for staff and drive the diversity and inclusion agenda for the Department.
- leadership development programs and opportunities that explore your strengths and build your capability.
- workplace initiatives that support you in balancing your work and home life commitments, such as access to diversity facilities and flexible working arrangements.
- workplace adjustments and a range of support mechanisms for those with disability or injury.
- safe and healthy work environments that offer wellbeing programs and services aimed at improving the general health and wellbeing of everyone.
- networks and forums that provide platform for you to connect on workplace diversity and inclusion matters, including:
- Staff Advancing Gender Equality (SAGE) Network
- LGBTIQ+ Staff and Allies Network
- Indigenous Staff Support Network (ISSN)
- Focus on Ability (FoA) Network
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Network
- Leadership and Culture Advisory Council.
If this sounds like something you want to be a part of, check out the
existing vacancies in the Department.