Documents for your partner


  • identity documents
  • documents about your relationship – for example, marriage certificate
  • character documents, if applicable
  • documents about other relationships, if applicable
  • proof that your partner has Functional English.

De facto relationships

    If you are in a de facto relationship, provide proof that you have been in a genuine and continuing relationship for at least 12 months before the date you lodge your application such as:
  • joint bank account statements
  • billing accounts in joint names
  • joint leases or mortgages.

Functional English

If you are not providing proof that your partner has Functional English, you will need to pay the second instalment fee when we ask you to.