Applicant documents

Identity documents

  • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  •  Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
    • These photographs must be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.
  • A national identity card if you have one.
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

State or territory nomination

A completed nomination form from an Australian state or territory government: Form 1414 - State/Territory Business Skills class (201KB PDF).

Your relationships

Certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.

If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least six months (for example, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names or joint ownership of major assets).

If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a certified copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or statutory declaration separation documents.

Health documents

If you are required to undergo health examinations, you must organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application and include your health identifier (HAP ID) when completing your visa application form.

If you have confirmed that you do not need to undergo health examinations by using My Health Declarations, please indicate on your online application form that you have organised your health examinations when lodging your visa application (as you are considered to have met this requirement).

    Evidence that everyone included in your application has adequate health insurance in Australia. Provide any one of the following:
  • a signed letter from a health insurance provider (140KB RTF)
  • a Medicare card or receipt of enrolment with Medicare
  • evidence of adequate health insurance (including travel insurance)
  • if you are from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia and will be eligible for Medicare when you arrive here, evidence of adequate health insurance (including travel insurance) to cover you until you enrol in Medicare.

Character documents

Evidence that everyone included in the visa application has applied for an Australian Federal Police National Police Check if they are at least 16 years of age and have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age.

The AFP National Police Check Application Form is available from the Australian Federal Police website - either an online form or National Police Check Application Form (NPC)(1.46MB PDF). Visa applicants should tick Code 33 in Section 8 of the form. Fingerprints are not required.

You will be issued with a 'National Police Check' certificate which will have 'Complete Disclosure' in the heading if your AFP police check application is successful.

Police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age. Provide the original certificates and keep a copy for yourself.

See Character requirements - How to obtain police certificates

If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.

English language ability

Provide the documents for family members who did not pay a second instalment of the visa application charge in relation to an application for a Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188).

    For each of your dependant family members aged 18 years or older when you lodge the application, provide one of the following:
  • if they have functional English: the results of specific English language test they took during the 12 months before you lodged your application, or other specified forms of evidence. How can I prove I have functional English? explains how they can demonstrate their language ability.
  • if they have less than functional English: a statement indicating your intention to pay the second visa application charge.