For international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the list of eligible skilled occupations. A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.
Requirements for this visa include:
- you nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
- your visa application included evidence that you had applied for a skills assessment for your nominated skilled occupation by a relevant assessing authority
- your skills have been assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated skilled occupation ('suitable skills assessment')
- you have met the Australian study requirement in the past six months
- each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to your nominated skilled occupation.
You must nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). You can nominate only one occupation and you cannot change that occupation after you apply
For the purposes of applying for a subclass 485 under the Graduate Work stream, the course/courses must have resulted in a degree, diploma or trade qualification. For example, a student may complete two consecutive Diploma level courses and satisfy the Australian study requirement under the Graduate Work stream, provided the other components of the requirement are satisfied.
Qualifications must be closely related to nominated occupation
The qualification(s) completed must be closely related to the student's nominated skilled occupation. For your qualification to be considered to be closely related to your nominated occupation, the skills underpinning the qualification must be directly transferable to that occupation. This applies to both the subject matter and the level of the qualification. For example, if you nominate 'physiotherapist' as your occupation, a degree in physiotherapy would meet this requirement, but a degree in commerce would not.
Example: Acceptable combinations of study and nominated occupations include:
- an applicant who nominates 'Physiotherapist' as their skilled occupation and completes a degree in physiotherapy in Australia
- an applicant who nominates 'Air-conditioning and Mechanical Services Plumber' as their skilled occupation who has completed a Certificate III in Plumbing and a Diploma of Plumbing and Services in Australia
Example: A combination of study and nominated occupation that would not be acceptable:
- An applicant's nominated occupation is Registered Nurse but they satisfied the Australian study requirement on the basis of having completed a Bachelor of Commerce.
It is your responsibility to arrange for the skills assessment. Contact the relevant assessing authority well before you apply for this visa, because each assessing authority has its own assessment procedures, timeframes and charges.
Contact details for Assessing Authorities are listed on the department's website.
A skills assessment is only valid until the expiry date specified on the assessment, or for a period of three years from the assessment's date of issue.