- complete the online application: your letter of invitation will give you the link to the form
- the below forms will be required to be provided with your supporting documentation for all streams of the visa:
Form 1139A - Statement of Assets and Liabilities Position (68KB PDF)
Form 80 - Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment (386KB PDF).
Your personal documents
- certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates)
- two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application
- These photographs must be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background
- Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.
- a national identity card if you have one
- if your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed.
If you are unable to provide any of these documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.
Documents about relationships
- certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia
- if you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least six months (for example, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names or joint ownership of major assets)
- if you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a certified copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or
statutory declaration separation documents.
Documents about your children
- certified copies of birth certificates or the family book showing the names of both parents of all your dependent children
- evidence of financial dependency for all your family members aged 18 or older (such as evidence of current studies):
- a certified copy of their birth certificate and proof of their relationship to you
- proof that they live in your household
- proof that they have been financially dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application.
- if any dependent child included in the application is adopted: certified copies of the adoption papers
- if you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application, you will need documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as:
- certified copies of official legal documents, such as a court-issued parental responsibility (custody), access or guardianship order
statutory declaration (80KB PDF) giving their permission
Form 1229 - Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125KB PDF).
If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a certified copy of the other parent’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or driver's licence) with their photograph and signature.
Health and character documents
- if you are required to undergo health examinations, you must organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application and include your health identifier (HAP ID) when completing your visa application form
- if you have confirmed that you do not need to undergo health examinations by using My Health Declarations, indicate on your online application form that you have organised your health examinations when lodging your visa application (as you are considered to have met this requirement)
- evidence that everyone included in the visa application has applied for an
Australian Federal Police National Police Check if they are at least 16 years of age and have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age.
The AFP National Police Check Application Form is available from the Australian Federal Police website - either an
online form or
paper form. Visa applicants must tick Code 33 in Section 8 of the form. Fingerprints are not required.
You will be issued with a 'National Police Check' certificate which will have 'Complete Disclosure' in the heading if your AFP police check application is successful.
- Police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age. Provide the original certificates and keep a copy for yourself
Character requirements - How to obtain police certificates
- if anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.
English language ability
For the Entrepreneur stream you will need to provide evidence you have at least
For the rest of the streams you should have at least
Applicants and dependants (18 years and older) who cannot provide evidence of having at least functional English must pay a second instalment of the visa application charge.
If you or your dependents have less than functional English, provide a statement indicating your intention to pay the second visa application charge for each person with less than functional English.