Individuals and Travellers

Using a migration agent


    If you choose to use a migration agent, you should use a registered migration agent. In Australia, agents must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).


    Overview of using a registered migration agent in Australia.

    Using a migration agent in Australia

    Information on whether you need to use an agent, how to find a registered migration agent, your obligations, getting a refund and notifying the department.

    Agents outside Australia

    Information about migration agents who operate outside Australia.

    Getting help to apply for a visa

    There are people who can assist you without being registered (exempt persons), information and services available on the department's website, and community organisations which may be able to help you.

    Applying for a visa yourself

    Information and services are available on the department's website to help you.

    Reporting problems with migration agents

    Information about reporting problems with migration agents.

    Immigration assistance

    Definition of immigration assistance, exemption people and penalties.