Child visa (subclass 802)


This visa allows a child who is in Australia to stay in Australia.​


The child must be single.

Special age requirements apply.

Length of stay



From AUD 2,470

Learn about...​

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
12 months 15 months

Last updated 19 September 2018 (for month ending 31 August 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


Who could get this visa

    To get this visa, the child must be:
  • sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner
  • single and
  • one of the following:
    • younger than 18 years of age (and not adopted)
    • adopted (and under 18 when adopted)
    • full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age, or
    • 18 or older and unable to work due to a disability and dependent on the sponsoring parent.

The child can include their own dependent children in this application.

Children younger than 18 years of age

Children between 18 and 25 years of age

Children with a disability aged 18 or older

Adopted children

The sponsor

The child’s sponsor is usually their parent who is an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The spouse or de facto partner of the child’s parent can also sponsor the child and they must also be an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The child's relationship with the parent

    The child must be:
  • the biological child or adopted child of a parent (there are special requirements for adopted children); or
  • a stepchild who has not turned 18 of a step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child's parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child.

who is an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Best interests of the child

This visa will not usually be granted if it is against the best interests of a child younger than 18 years of age.

Measures for the Protection of Children has more information.


The child must meet certain health requirements. The results are usually valid for 12 months. This also applies to any member of your family unit included in your application, whether they are migrating or not.


A child older than 16 years of age must meet certain character requirements. They must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country they have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after they turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

Debts to the Australian Government

The child must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government.

The visa

About this visa

A Child visa (subclass 802) lets an eligible parent sponsor their child to live in Australia indefinitely. The parent can apply on behalf of a child younger than 18 years of age.

Children born in Australia

Children born outside Australia

Adopted children

What you can do

    It allows the child to:
  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time they will need another visa to enter Australia.


From AUD2470

    You might have to pay additional costs:
  • additional applicant charge 18 and over
  • additional applicant charge under 18

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator

Note: The estimator does not calculate additional costs.


The child must be in Australia when the application is lodged and when the application is decided.

How long your visa lasts

This is a permanent residence visa.


You might be able to include your child in the visa application. Any children included in the visa application must meet the requirements for including family members in your application.

The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Children who are included as members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.

Your siblings will need to lodge their own application.

Your obligations

The child must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.


Who can sponsor a carer

    To sponsor a child for this visa you must be:
  • the parent (or their partner), step-parent, or adoptive parent of the child
  • older than 18 years of age
    You can sponsor a child if you are either:
  • a step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child's parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child and the child is younger than 18 years of age
  • an adoptive parent who adopted the child before you became an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
    You do not need to be in Australia at the time of application. You can still be a sponsoring parent if you:
  • entered Australia in the past but are outside Australia when the application is lodged
  • have been granted your Australian permanent resident visa but have not yet entered Australia.

Parental responsibility

    This visa can be granted only if you can show one of the following for a child younger than 18 years of age:
  • you have the written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives
  • the laws of the child’s home country permit the removal of the child
  • it is consistent with any Australian child order.


You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

Assurance of support

We might ask for an assurance of support for the child so that welfare costs for some migrants are not borne by the Australian community.

Do not provide an assurance of support unless we ask for one and tell you what you need to do.

Sponsor obligations

    As a sponsor you must:
  • be responsible for the cost to the Australian Government of the child living in Australia
  • provide adequate accommodation and enough financial support to meet the child's reasonable living needs for their first two years in Australia
  • help the child settle in Australia
  • support the child to attend any required English Language class.

You must tell us in writing if the child’s circumstances change in a way that could affect the child's eligibility for a Child visa (subclass 802), or your eligibility to sponsor the child.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    No further stay condition

    You cannot apply for this visa if you already hold another visa that has a ‘No further stay’ condition.

    Contact us if you are not sure whether your current visa conditions prevent you from applying for a further visa while you are in Australia.

  2. Gather documents

    Prepare your documents

    You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

    Provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

  3. Apply

    Apply for the visa

    Complete the following two forms and lodge them together.

    The child or their sponsor should complete:

    Sponsors should complete:

    The forms must be completed in English. Provide all relevant documents and pay the visa application charge when you apply.

    You cannot lodge this application in person. You must post or courier your application to the Perth office in Western Australia - marked: attention to Child and Other Family Processing Centre.

    You can pay using the online portal function via ImmiAccount.

    More information

    Please refer to preparing your application, for information on:

    • certifying and translating documents into English
    • communicating with us
    • using a migration agent
    • authorising another person to receive information from us
    • receiving assistance with your application.

  4. After you apply

    After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

    Wait for a decision

    We have visa processing time service standards for each visa.

    Your application could take longer if the child needs character or health checks (including x-rays), you need to provide more information, or the application is incomplete.

    If you apply for this visa while the child is in Australia, they might be able to get a Bridging visa that allows them to stay in the country lawfully while the application is processed. If the child is given a Bridging visa A, they should apply for a Bridging visa B (BVB) if they want to travel outside Australia while they wait for a decision.

    Visa decision

    We will tell you when we make a decision about your visa application.

      If the visa is granted, we will let you know:
    • when you can use the visa
    • the visa grant number.
    • any conditions attached to the visa
      If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:
    • why the visa was refused
    • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
    • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

    Provide more information

    We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

    If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

    You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

    Provide Biometric

    You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

    Tell us of changes

    Tell us if your circumstances or the child’s circumstances change.

    More information is available in the Tell us of changes tab.

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

Tell us if your circumstances change after you have applied for this visa. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth or death in your family.

Withdrawing your visa application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.