Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)


​​​This visa allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa.


You must:

  • be the student's parent, legal guardian or relative
  • have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay
  • be able to provide accommodation and other support
  • be at least 21 years of age.

Length of stay

​Up to five years


From AUD 575

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

Learn about...

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
57 days 84 days

Last updated 19 September 2018 (for month ending 31 August 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


Who could get this visa

Nomination of Student Guardian

Provide completed Form 157N – Nomination of Student Guardian with your visa application or it will not be valid.

Attach electronic copies of your documents to your visa application or electronic documents to your visa application or your visa could be refused.

Pre-qualifying visas

If you are applying in Australia, you must hold a current substantive temporary visa, but not one of the following:

  • Domestic Worker (Temporary) – Diplomatic or Consular visa (subclass 426)
  • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
  • Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) - primary visa holder only. This means a family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia.
  • Transit visa (subclass 771)
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the ‘Sponsored Family’ stream or in the ‘Approved Destination Status’ stream.

A substantive temporary visa is any visa except a bridging visa, criminal justice or enforcement visa. It allows the visa holder to remain temporarily in Australia.

Bringing children

    You can only bring children under six years old if either:
  • there are compelling and compassionate reasons
  • the granting the visa would significantly benefit the relationship between the Australian Government and the government of another country. If this is the case, you must be at least 21 and the student must be supported in writing by a parent or person who has custody

The child must meet the same health requirements as you and have health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.

Children six years old or older can come with you but they must apply for their own student visa.

Financial requirement

You need to have enough money genuinely available to support you, the student and children coming with you for the duration of your stay in Australia. You will declare this in your visa application.

You must show evidence of financial capacity by providing one of the following:

  • evidence of funds to cover travel costs and 12 months' living costs for yourself, the student and other children coming with you
  • evidence that your spouse (who is not travelling to Australia) will support you and your dependants and has an annual income of at least AUD 70,000.

If the grant of the visa will significantly benefit the relationship between Australia and the government of your home country, you only need to show evidence of funds for yourself and dependents, not the student.

The visa

About this visa

    This visa is for someone to come to Australia to provide care and support for:
  • a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or
  • a student visa holder who is 18 years of age or older and needs care and support due to exceptional circumstances.

You can apply for this visa from in or outside Australia.

What this visa lets you do

The visa does not generally allow you to work.

You can care for more than one student.

Generally, there can be only one Student Guardian visa holder per student visa holder.

How long this visa lasts

You can stay in Australia for the same length of time as the student visa holder or until the student turns 18 years of age.


From AUD575

You might have to pay other costs such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator

Follow these steps

  1. Gather documents


    Prepare your documents

      Preparing your application

    • Non-English documents must be translated into English. If you are in Australia, your translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. If you are outside Australia, contact the Australian mission in the country that issued the documents for a translator.
    • Scan all documents – both non-English documents and translated documents.
    • Attach scanned copies to your online application when asked.
    • Provide certified copies of your documents.
    • Submit all documents with your application or your application could be refused or a decision on your visa could be delayed.
  2. Apply

    Apply for the visa

    You can apply for this visa:
    • at the same time as the student
    • after the student has applied
    • after the student has been granted their visa, in which case the student would have demonstrated that other welfare arrangements were in place to meet their visa requirements.

    You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for this visa

    You must apply for this visa online through ImmiAccount. If you do not have an ImmiAccount, you can create one.

  3. After you apply

    After you apply

      After you apply, we may ask you to:
    • attend an interview
    • provide additional information
    • provide biometric information
    • provide police certificates
    • undergo health checks.
    • You can find out if you need health checks, and then complete them, before you apply for this visa by completing the online application My Health Declarations.

      You can be in or outside Australia when a decision is made on your application.

      If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia or leave your job until you have received notification from us, in writing, that you have been granted a visa.

    Processing times

    You can check the progress of your application via your ImmiAccount.

    To reduce visa processing times, submit all documents with your visa application. Failure to submit all documents may lead to processing delays or visa refusal.

      The exact time it will take depends on a number of factors such as:
    • whether you have provided all supporting documents with your application
    • whether we need additional information from you and how you respond to any requests for this information
    • whether you need to undergo health checks or provide biometric information
    • how many applicants there are for this visa.

    You will only be granted a visa after the student has been granted their visa.

    Visa decision

      If the visa is granted, we will let you know:
    • the visa number
    • any conditions attached to the visa.
      If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:
    • why the visa was not granted
    • your review rights and any times limits for applying for a review (if applicable).

    Visa conditons

    You must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws. Different visa conditions apply to you and your family members. If you breach your visa conditions your visa could be cancelled.

      Visa conditions might include, among others:
    • student guardian must remain with nominating student and provide for their general welfare, accommodation and support
    • student guardian must not leave Australia without the nominating student
    • student guardian must maintain adequate health insurance for yourself and any dependent children living with you
    • student guardian must not work while in Australia.

    You can view your visa details including conditions in Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).

    If you have been granted a visa with the support of the government in your home country, you will have different visa conditions.

Tell us of changes

How to tell us of changes

If your circumstances or contact details change after you apply, you can make changes to your application by logging into ImmiAccount.

Entering and leaving Australia

You can enter and leave Australia temporarily during the term of the visa, but you cannot leave Australia without the nominating student unless you make alternative welfare arrangements.

Mistakes on your application

Tell us if there are any mistakes in your application.

Complete Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF).

Withdrawing your application

    You can withdraw your application at any time before a decision is made using:
  • Form 1446 - Withdrawal of a visa application (375KB PDF)

Estimate the cost of your visa

Will the primary applicant be in Australia when the application is lodged?
* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.