Individuals and Travellers

Subclass 489 Document Checklist Extended Stay Pathway

Use this checklist if you are applying for a subclass 489 visa to extend your stay in Australia AND you hold a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa.

You must provide documents to support your application for this visa. As part of the visa application process you will need to use ImmiAccount.  You should provide high quality colour scans of the documents supporting your visa application in ImmiAccount.

Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

Information to help you prepare your application and guidelines on attaching documents to an online visa application may assist you in lodging a complete visa application. 

In your visa application you will be asked for information about each member of your family unit even if they do not intend to migrate with you, for example dependent children or a partner. Information about which family members are considered to be 'members of your family unit' for migration purposes is available by referring to including family members in your application.

Use the following checklist to make sure your application is complete. Lodging a complete application reduces processing times.

Identity and family relationship documents

Travel documents

Biographical pages (photo pages) of the current passport(s) or travel documents of each visa applicant.  If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed, include evidence of the name change.

Birth registration documents

Birth registration documents of each visa applicant, showing the names of both parents. Suitable documents include but are not limited to full birth certificates or family registration books showing both parents’ names.  If any child included in the application is adopted, include adoption papers.

Marriage and relationship documents

Marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you, your partner, or anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.  If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated, provide the death certificate, divorce decree absolute, or statutory declaration/separation certificate as applicable.

Genuine relationship evidence

If you are married or in a de facto relationship, evidence of a genuine and continuing relationship with your partner to the exclusion of all others.  For de facto relationships this should include evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least 12 months at time of application. Evidence can include, but is not limited to, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names, and other evidence of cohabitation.

Details of dependent family member aged 18 years or over

For each dependent family member applicant older than 18 years of age, other than your partner, a Form 47A Details of Child or Other Dependent Family Member Aged 18 Years or Over (205KB PDF) with supporting documentary evidence of their dependency and relationship to you. Evidence of dependency may include, but is not limited to employment, financial, residential and academic documentation for each dependent family member.

Evidence of parental responsibility/custody

Evidence of parental permission to grant an Australian visa for applicants younger than 18 years of age where one of the child’s parents is not an applicant in this visa application.

Evidence when the other parent is alive includes a court custody order or Form 1229 Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (242KB PDF) with an official identification document displaying the other parent’s signature. If the other parent is deceased, a death certificate or other official documentation.

For assistance with the documentation required you can refer to the “Parental responsibility (formerly custody)” section of the information about including family members in your application.

Health and Character

You and each 'member of your family unit' are required to satisfy health and character requirements. This requirement applies even if that person is not applying for a visa with you.

If you currently hold a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa a further health examination may not be required and you should wait for your application to be assessed before undertaking a health check.

Health requirements

Evidence of each person having undertaken the required health examinations. If you have lodged your application, click on the ‘Organise health examinations’ link in ImmiAccount.

Character requirements

Police certificates for each country each person has lived in for a cumulative period of 12 months or more, over the last 10 years, since turning 16 years of age.

Military service record or discharge papers for each person who is/has served in the armed forces of any country. Police certificates are also required for the countries of service.

Additional Character requirements

Each person who is 18 years or older can complete and attach the following documents.  Providing this information with your application can reduce processing times.

Evidence of English language ability – dependent applicant(s)

  • Evidence of Functional English for each dependent applicant who is 18 years or older at the time this application is lodged. Evidence of Functional English can be provided up until the time the application is decided.
  • If you will not be providing evidence a dependent applicant has Functional English, you should advise that you will pay the second instalment of the visa application charge. This charge will be requested when required by the processing office.

The second instalment of the visa application charge is not payable if it was previously paid in relation to the subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visas the dependant applicant currently holds.