New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)


This visa allows a non-New Zealand family member of a New Zealand citizen to live and work in Australia for up to five years.


You must:

  • not be a New Zealand citizen
  • be an eligible family member of a New Zealand citizen
  • be an eligible family member of someone living in Australia on a Special Category visa (subclass 444) or be travelling to Australia with a family member who will be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) on arrival.

Length of stay

Five years


From AUD 340

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

Learn about...​

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
18 months 20 months

Last updated 17 October 2018 (for month ending 30 September 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


Who could get this visa

You might be able to get this visa if:

You must be related to the New Zealand citizen as one of the following:

  • their partner
  • their child/step-child or their partner’s child/step-child
  • the dependent child of you or your partner's child/step-child.


You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

This applies to you and any members of your family unit included in your application.

You are able to organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.

Health Insurance

You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.

You might have to hold private health insurance with an Australian fund for the duration of your visa. Your case officer will advise you if you must do this.


You must meet certain character requirements. You will need to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.

This also applies to all members of your family unit included in your application who are 16 years of age or older.


You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

The visa

About this visa

The New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461) allows someone who is not a New Zealand citizen to live in Australia with a family member who:

  • is a New Zealand citizen, but not an Eligible New Zealand Citizen
  • and either
    • holds a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and is living in Australia, or
    • is eligible to hold a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and is accompanying you to Australia.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you to:

  • work and study in Australia
  • travel to, enter and remain in Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted.


From AUD340

    You might have to pay additional costs for:
  • additional applicant 18 and over
  • additional applicant under 18
Other costs

You could have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments and police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator

Note: The estimator does not calculate additional costs.


Applying in Australia:

You must be in Australia when the application is lodged and the visa is granted.

Applying outside Australia

You must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

How long the visa lasts

This visa is valid for up to five years from the date it is granted.


You can include your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child in you visa application at the time of lodgement.

For detailed information regarding who you can include in your application see including family members in your application.

These family members will need to provide evidence that they are members of the family unit of the New Zealand citizen. They must also be able to meet Australia's health and character requirements.

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    Your passport

    If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. In most cases, you and your family members must have valid passports to be granted this visa.

  2. Gather documents

    Applicant documents

    Prepare your documents

    You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

    Provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

  3. Apply

    Apply for the visa

    To apply you must complete:

    You must provide all relevant documents and pay the visa application charge when you apply.

    In Australia:

    Applications must be sent to one of the following addresses:


    New Zealand Family Relationship visa application
    Department of Home Affairs
    GPO Box 9984
    SYDNEY NSW 2001


    New Zealand Family Relationship visa application
    Department of Home Affairs
    Level 3, 26 Lee Street
    SYDNEY NSW 2000

    Outside Australia:

    Lodge your application at one of the immigration offices outside Australia, which will tell you how you can pay. There is also information at Method of Payment Accepted at Australian Missions.

    More information

    Please refer to preparing your application, for information on:

    • certifying and translating documents into English
    • communicating with us
    • using a migration agent
    • authorising another person to receive information from us
    • receiving assistance with your application.
  4. After you apply

    Wait for a decision

    After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

    We have visa processing times for each visa.

    Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

    Outside Australia:

    If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa. Wait for a decision from us before you leave your job, sell your home or book your travel.

    In Australia:

    If you apply for this visa in Australia, you could be eligible for a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for a Bridging visa B (BVB) to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

    Provide more information

    You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

    We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

    If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

    You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

    Provide Biometric

    You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

    Visa decision

    If the visa is granted, we will let you know:

    • when you can use the visa
    • the visa grant number
    • any conditions attached to the visa.

    If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:

    • why the visa was refused
    • your review rights (if any)
    • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

    Tell us of changes

    You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

    More information is available in the Update us of changes tab.

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount. If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Withdrawing your application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.