Onshore – Protection

The Refugee and Humanitarian programme provides options for people who are in Australia and want to apply for protection (or asylum). Depending on how you arrived in Australia, the following options are available:

You arrived in Australia legally

You can apply for a Protection visa (subclass 866).

You arrived in Australia illegally

If you did not apply for a Protection visa before 1 October 2017, you must depart Australia. See Status Resolution Service for more information.

If you currently hold a Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785) or a Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790) you must apply for a subsequent Temporary Protection visa or a Safe Haven Enterprise visa before your current visa ceases. If you do not apply before your current visa ceases, you may not be able to apply for a subsequent visa.