Individuals and Travellers

Evidence of immigration status ImmiCard

If you have previously been issued an Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS) ImmiCard, you do not need to order a new card. You can check your new visa status and conditions through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) using your existing ImmiCard.

Protection visa holders

If you are granted a Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785), Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790) or a Permanent Protection visa (subclass 866), you are eligible for an EIS ImmiCard.

When you apply you will need to provide your personal information and visa grant details exactly as they appear on your visa grant letter.

You must provide your up-to-date address in your application because this is where we will send your ImmiCard. We cannot send your card to a post office box.

Apply for an ImmiCard online.

Non-citizens in immigration community detention

If you are an immigration detainee who is living in the community and you do not have a visa, the Department will issue you with an ImmiCard. You do not have to apply for one.

Permanent Residents who arrived in Australia before the mid-1980s

The Department continues to promote development and enhancement of its services through digital channels. This reflects an Australian government wide agenda to make services more accessible and convenient for visa holders and organisations by providing them with secure digital alternatives.

Australian visa holders are encouraged to use their foreign passport to access the VEVO system or the myVEVO app. VEVO is a free web service which allows visa holders and Australian organisations access to visa status information anywhere, any time.

To access VEVO you need both an electronic immigration record and a passport or ImmiCard. If you are a permanent resident who arrived in Australia prior to the mid-1980s and have not travelled from Australia since first arrival, you are unlikely to have an electronic record.

If you do not have, or cannot use or obtain, a passport and are unable to use the VEVO system, you may be considered eligible for an ImmiCard.

To apply for an ImmiCard and/or create an electronic record, you will need to apply for an ImmiCard online.

How much will it cost?

There is no fee to create your electronic record, however a fee applies for this service if you do not have a current passport and require an ImmiCard. We will advise you how to make a payment once we receive your application. See the Fees and Charges page.

Proof of Identity – evidence required

All applications must include the following:

  • a current photograph of you (face and shoulders) attached to the application form
  • documentation that demonstrates you have resided in Australia on a permanent basis since your arrival, such as:
    • employment records
    • school records
    • financial, mortgage, lease or bill records
    • taxation records
    • Medicare card, Centrelink card, school card, bankcards, credit cards.
  • photo ID such as a driver’s licence, proof of age card
  • the ship or aircraft arrival manifest available from the National Archives of Australia. More information about helping you access records of interest is available at the National Archives of Australia website
  • a copy of the passport or travel document used when you first travelled to Australia, including the pages with your personal details and stamps or labels affixed.

If you have changed your name, you must provide a copy of your official marriage certificate or change of name certificate.

How do I submit my documents?

Attach high resolution colour scans of your original documents to your online application.


You may be required to provide your biometrics. If so, you will be invited to attend an appointment at one of our offices.

How to apply?

Complete the online Application for an ImmiCard form.

Holders of a Document For Travel to Australia (DFTTA) or PLO56

To apply for an ImmiCard to replace your paper DFTTA or PLO56, please see the Replacement ImmiCard page.

Privacy Statement – please read before applying for an ImmiCard

We have authority under the Migration Act 1958 and the Australian Citizenship Act 2007, and other legislation, to collect your personal information.

An application for an ImmiCard may require you to provide personal identifiers if the department does not hold a current facial image in our systems. By completing a request, you are consenting to your personal information being used for the purpose of issuing an ImmiCard. We can also share this information with other government agencies and financial institutions to confirm your identity or verify documents that we have issued.

For more information on the use and disclosure of your information, see Form 1442i — Privacy Notice (160KB PDF) and Form 1243i — Your personal identifying information (137KB PDF). These forms outline why personal identifiers can be collected, how they may be collected, how they may be used, how they are protected and how they may be disclosed.

When will my card be delivered?

If you have applied for an ImmiCard, and we notify you that your application is approved, your ImmiCard will arrive by registered post within 14 days. Do not resubmit your application or contact us during this time. If your application is not successful, we will send you an email stating the reason why.

Do I have to pay to get a new or replacement ImmiCard?

Anyone who is granted a Humanitarian visa will receive their first ImmiCard free of charge. Unaccompanied Minors are also exempt from any ImmiCard fees.

If you believe the information on your ImmiCard is incorrect and the Department agrees to correct your personal details, a replacement ImmiCard will be issued free of charge.

For any other new or replacement ImmiCard, a fee will usually apply.

For information on current fees and charges see the Fees and Charges page.