Individuals and Travellers

Request to change the personal information on my ImmiCard

Your ImmiCard has the personal details (such as your surname, given name and date of birth) you told us were correct when your visa was granted.

Under Australian Privacy Principle (APP) 13 of the Privacy Act 1988, we are required to take reasonable steps to make sure our records are accurate, up-to-date and complete. If you believe the details on your ImmiCard are wrong and you have evidence to prove this, you can ask us to correct your record. To do this you should submit an online ImmiCard amendment request form.

We will decide whether to correct your record based on the evidence you provide. The best evidence you can provide is a passport. The law does not give us any power to create a preferred name for you. If you want to change your name (as opposed to asking us to correct your record), you need to apply to your local Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. You will be able to provide them with your ImmiCard as evidence of your identity to do this.

If you do change your preferred name through the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, you can request that we amend the details on your ImmiCard to match this. You will need to provide us with a certified copy of the official Change of Name Certificate. You can send us a request to amend your ImmiCard details using the ImmiC​ard amendment request form. If you choose to do this you will be charged a fee to issue a new ImmiCard.

If we correct or amend your record, your out-of-date ImmiCard will be cancelled and will no longer work with the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system or the Document Verification Service (DVS). We will tell you how to return your ImmiCard so that we can issue you a new card with the corrected or amended details.

When we issue you with a new ImmiCard, it will have your previous details printed on the back. This provides a link to your old identity and will make it easier for you to prove that your identity has officially changed.

If we are not satisfied with the evidence you provide, we may decide not to correct or amend your principal identity record. We will send you a written response within 30 days to explain the reasons for the refusal. We will also tell you how you can have the decision reviewed. The Department might update your records in the future following a thorough identity or visa assessment if we are satisfied that the details you have provided are correct.

Freedom of Information

What do I need to correct a card or amend the details on my ImmiCard?

You can request a correction to your ImmiCard using the ImmiC​ard amendment request form.

When you apply you will need to provide your personal details and ImmiCard number. You will also need to provide us with an email address and an up-to-date Australian residential address.

Evidence of identity

You will need to provide evidence to support your request to correct or amend your records.

Any identification documents you provide must be high resolution colour scans of the original document.

If any of your original documents are in a language other than English, you will need to provide a copy of that document together with a version translated into English by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

If the identity documents you provide do not contain a photograph, you will also need to upload and attach a recent photo of yourself.

What if I want to apply to amend an ImmiCard on behalf of a child under 18 years of age?

A parent or guardian will need to apply on behalf of children under the age of 18. If you are the child's parent or guardian you will need to provide proof of your identity as well as proof of your relationship to the child. For example, you​ can attach a scan of a Medicare card or other documentation authorising your guardianship or custodianship.

If you do not have such documents, you will need to complete Form 1499 — Declaration of parentage (148KB PDF).

You can request a correction to the child's ImmiCard through the ImmiCard amendment request form.

When will my card be​​​​ delivered?

If your​ request is approved you will need to return your original ImmiCard to us. Please do not return your ImmiCard until we advise you to. Once we receive your out-of-date ImmiCard, we will issue you with a new card within 14 days.

If you are not at home when the ImmiCard is delivered, a collection slip will be left in your mail box. This slip will tell you which post office you can collect your ImmiCard from. To collect your card the post office will ask you to show some identification, such as your Visa Grant Notice or Medicare ​card.​​​

Do I have to pay to get a new or replacement ImmiCard?

Anyone who is granted a Humanitarian visa will receive their first ImmiCard free of charge. Unaccompanied Minors are also exempt from any ImmiCard fees.

If you believe the information on your ImmiCard is incorrect and the Department agrees to correct your personal details, a replacement ImmiCard will be issued free of charge.

For any other new or replacement ImmiCard, a fee will usually apply.

For information on current fees and charges please see the Fees and Charges page.