Individuals and Travellers

Evidence of status in Australia

This page provides information about how to obtain evidence of your status in Australia.

Australian visa holders are encouraged to use the information on their foreign passport /ImmiCard to access the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system or the myVEVO app. VEVO is a free web service which allows visa holders and Australian organisations access to visa status information anywhere, any time.

I arrived in Australia before the mid-1980s and have never travelled out of Australia

To access VEVO you need both an electronic immigration record and a passport or ImmiCard.  If you are a permanent resident who arrived in Australia prior to the mid-1980s and have not travelled from Australia since first arrival, you are unlikely to have an electronic record.

If you do not have, or cannot use or obtain, a passport you might be considered eligible for an ImmiCard to assist you to access VEVO. To apply for an ImmiCard and/or create an electronic record, please refer to the Evidence of Immigration Status ImmiCard page. Alternatively you can consider applying for Australian citizenship.  

I am a visa holder with a Document for Travel to Australia (DFTTA) or visa evidence card (PLO56)

If you hold a humanitarian visa and you require a valid credential to access government services, you can apply for an ImmiCard to replace your DFTTA or PLO56

I am a visa holder and need to know when I arrived in Australia

If you need to obtain information about your arrival date in Australia, you can apply to access the travel information in your Movement Records

I am an Australian citizen

If you need to obtain evidence of your Australian citizenship, refer to the Evidence of Australian citizenship page.

I was a temporary resident and need proof my visa has ceased to claim my superannuation

You might need to obtain a Certification of Immigration Status for the purposes of making a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) claim with the Australian Tax Office (ATO). For further information see: Accessing superannuation benefits for temporary residents.