Application fees, forms and appeals

Click on the relevant topic below for more information.


The cost of your application will vary according to your eligibility and which form you need to use to apply. In some cases you might be eligible for a fee concession or exemption.

Read information on how to pay for an application and related surcharges.

 Citizenship Fees
FormType of ApplicationFee
Form 1300tAustralian citizenship – General eligibility (required to sit test)$285
Concession fee
See Fee exemptions and concessions below.
Child under 16 years applying on the same form as a parentNil
Form 1290Australian citizenship– Other situations (not required to sit test)$180
Concession fee
See Fee exemptions and concessions below.
Child under 16 years applying on the same form as a parentNil
Form 119

Evidence of Australian citizenship


Fee exemption
See Fee exemption for Form 119 below.

Form 132Resuming Australian citizenship$210
Form 118Australian citizenship by descent$230
Second and subsequent siblings applying at the same time$95
Form 1272Adopted under full Hague Convention or bilateral arrangements$230
Second and subsequent siblings applying at the same time$95
Form 128Renunciation of Australian citizenship$205

Fee exemption for Form 119 - Application for evidence of Australian citizenship

No fee is payable if:

  • the application is to replace evidence of Australian citizenship that was lost, destroyed or damaged due to a natural disaster on our natural ​disaster list, and
  • the application is made within 18 months of the date specified for the natural disaster on the list.

See Proof of citizenship​ for the application process and checklist of documents required.

Fee exemptions and concessions for applications for Australian citizenship - forms 1300t and 1290

Type of exemption/concessionFee
British and Maltese former child migrants who came to Australia without their parents between 22 September 1947 and 31 December 1967 under the Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme.

You will require a letter from the Child Migrants Trust confirming details of your arrival and sponsorship. Submit this letter with your application.
Persons who have served with the Australian Defence Force for a period of 90 days or more; or have completed 90 days or more National Service before 26 November 1964.

You will require official evidence of your service in the permanent forces of the Commonwealth of Australia. This evidence should be lodged with the application.
Persons applying under the Statelessness provision (section21(8) of the Australian Citizenship Act 2007)Nil

Holders of a Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) or Health Care Card (HCC) with a code or payment as listed below.

To receive the concession, you must provide a copy of both sides of your card showing a code or pension listed below, with your citizenship application.

One of the following Department of Human Services (Centrelink) cards:
  • A Pensioner Concession Card with the code AGE, AGE BLIND, CAR, DSP, NSA, PPP, PTA, SAL, SPL, WAL, WDA, WFA, WFD, WFW, WID or YAL
  • A Pensioner Concession Card with the code PPS, and you are over 60 years of age and provide evidence that you have been in receipt of PPS payment for at least 9 months
  • A Health Care Card with the code PA or WA.

A Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Pensioner Concession Card for one of the following pensions:

  • Age Service Pension
  • Age Pension (code AGE)
  • Invalidity Service Pension
  • Income Support Supplement
  • Partner Service Pension.

Note: If you have a concession card with a code that is not listed above, you are not eligible for a fee concession. A code PP endorsed on a Health Care Card is not a qualifying code for a fee concession.

* The age and income support period requirements ensure that PPS and PPP recipients have equal access to the citizenship concession fee. PPP recipients must meet the age and income support period requirements before qualifying for a Pensioner Concession Card.

(Form 1300t)
(Form 1290)

Printable information on Form 1298i - Citizenship fees (58KB PDF) is available.


You can apply online for some citizenship application types.

All citizenship paper application forms are available as PDF files for printing.


If your application is refused you have the right to ask for the decision to be reviewed by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. Your letter of notification will advise you where you can lodge your application for review and the time limits for applying.