Evidence of Australian citizenship - documents

There are two types of documents that you need to apply for evidence of citizenship:

  • identity documents
  • supporting documents.

Identity documents

We must be satisfied of your identity before we can approve your application.

  • Provide three documents that, all together, show your:
    • photograph and signature
    • current residential address
    • birth name, date of birth and gender.

  • If you have changed your name, provide evidence of this including links between names.
  • An Identity declaration completed by a person with the relevant authority and accompanied by an endorsed photograph signed by the same person. For online applications, use Form 1195 – Identity Declaration (81KB PDF). For paper applications, the Identity declaration is contained in your citizenship form. 

Examples of identity documents are available.

In addition to the documents for the applicant, if you are the responsible parent applying on behalf of a child under 16 years of age provide:

  • documents that show your signature, photograph, and current residential address
  • orders relating to the custody, guardianship or parental responsibility for the child, if applicable
  • evidence of adoption of your child, if your child was adopted outside Australia.

Supporting documents

Supporting documents to send with your application depend on how you became an Australian citizen. A list of the documents to provide with your application for evidence of Australian citizenship is available.

To apply to replace an Australian citizenship certificate that was lost, destroyed or damaged in a natural disaster listed on our natural disaster list, you also need:

  • a statutory declaration stating that the citizenship certificate was lost, destroyed or damaged due to the natural disaster
  • in the case of a damaged citizenship certificate – the damaged certificate.

You might need to provide additional documents to those listed above.

Documents not in English

Documents not in English must be translated.

If you are applying in Australia, use a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters.

If you are applying outside Australia, contact the Australian mission in the country which issued the document for advice on translators.

Include the translation and the document which is not in English with your application.