Individuals and Travellers

More information


Partner (Permanent)  calculator

You applied for both a temporary and permanent visa when you lodged your application.

The Partner (Permanent) calculator will assist you to determine when you are eligible to have your Partner (Permanent) visa application assessed.

Approximately, three months before you are eligible to be assessed for the Partner (permanent) visa (usually two years after application lodgement), you will receive a letter from the department asking you to provide information relating to your application.

If you believe you are eligible for assessment for a Partner (permanent) visa and you have not received a letter from the department, you are encouraged to use the self service Partner (Permanent) visa calculator to determine when your permanent visa application is eligible for assessment.
See: Partner (Permanent) calculator

Children born to a permanent resident of Australia

Children born in Australia automatically acquire Australian citizenship if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child's birth.

Children born outside Australia to parents who are not Australian citizens do not automatically acquire Australian citizenship, nor are they eligible for citizenship by descent.
See: Proof of citizenship

Children born outside Australia to permanent resident parents will need to apply for and be granted a permanent residence visa to be able to enter and remain in Australia with their parents.

Most children born outside Australia to permanent resident parents will need to apply for a Child (subclass 101) visa. The current processing time for the Child (subclass 101) visa is approximately 14 months.

All people who apply for a visa, including applicants who are the children of permanent residents, must meet the eligibility requirements and pay the associated charges for the relevant visa.
See: Applicant eligibility

Further information about applying for citizenship is available.
See: Becoming an Australian Citizen

Further information about applying for a Child (subclass 101) visa is available.
See: About the child visa