Applications requesting RTC status should be lodged by email for specified voyages, as specified in the voyage schedule.
The following details should be included in the application:
- the Australian port from which the voyage will commence
- any other Australian ports visited before departure from Australia
- foreign ports to be visited, the date and time in each port
- the Australian port at which the vessel will return to Australia
- the port at which the voyage terminates.
The following should be noted:
- Applications for RTC status should be made no later than 2 months before the proposed voyage and no earlier than 2 years before the proposed voyage.
- The voyage must commence and terminate in Australia and must not be a regular journey that carries passengers from one place to another.
- The voyage should be confined to ports in countries that are adjacent to Australia, ie. no further north than the equator, no further east than the 180th meridian (180 degrees longitude), and no countries to the west of Australia.
- Each foreign port is visited once only and the period of stay does not exceed 24 hours.
- The voyage does not raise significant border security concerns.
- The vessel's absence from Australia must not exceed 30 days.