As a successful multicultural nation Australia embraces and celebrates the contributions of our multicultural communities.
Community engagement is about strengthening the bonds between us. It involves open dialogue, sharing information, building trust and showing respect. Through this engagement, the Government and communities work together to ensure everyone can contribute to and benefit from Australia's economic and social development.
The Department of Home Affairs' network of Regional Directors and Community Liaison Officers engage with a wide range of cultural, religious and ethnic community stakeholders around Australia, including:
- multicultural community leaders and organisations (ethnic, cultural and religious)
- multicultural peak bodies
- federal, state and local government representatives
- not-for-profit organisations
- service providers that provide services to multicultural communities
- other organisations with multicultural stakeholders and clients.
This network supports the communication of official information to multicultural communities, and provides a mechanism for community members to share information about their priorities, concerns, and the impact of government policies and programs on their communities.