Fostering Integration Grants program
The Fostering Integration Grants program facilitates the participation, integration and social cohesion of both recently arrived migrants and multicultural communities in Australia by:
- encouraging the social and economic participation of migrants by developing skills and cultural competencies to integrate into Australian social, economic and civil life, and build community resilience
- promoting and encouraging the uptake of Australian values and liberal democracy and amplifying the value of Australian citizenship
- promoting a greater understanding and acceptance of racial, religious and cultural diversity
- addressing issues in Australian communities that show potential for, or early signs of, low social integration.
Fostering Integration Grants 2019-2020 round
In the latest round of the Fostering Integration Grants program, we have awarded funding to 42 community organisations to deliver activities, programs and projects that will help multicultural communities.
A range of activities will be delivered by organisations over 2020-2021 including:
- developing podcasts and digital story telling to explore the cultural identity and diversity of multicultural communities, while showcasing individuals’ journeys in embracing Australian values and building resilience
- delivering practical skills training to help those from vulnerable communities to improve their employment prospects and help them participate in important activities in their life
- facilitating youth mentoring and leadership programs to identify future leaders in multicultural communities and equip them with skills and experience to help them lead their communities.
In 2019-20, the program prioritised supporting smaller grassroots organisations that represent or are strongly connected to a culturally diverse community. These not-for-profit organisations play a crucial role in the long-term integration of migrant communities in Australia and are best placed to understand and support those vulnerable communities that are facing greater challenges to social cohesion.