Transit visa (subclass 771)


​​​This visa lets you and your dependent children transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours.​


You must either:

  • hold a booking and relevant documentation to enter another country
  • hold a subclass 988 visa and relevant crew documents.

Length of stay

Up to 72 hours


From AUD 0

Learn about...​

The process

Processing time

75% of applications processed in90% of applications processed in
7 days 11 days

Last updated 15 May 2018 (for month ending 30 April 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


Who could get this visa

You might be able to get a Transit visa (subclass 771) if you:

  • need to pass through Australia on your way to another country or
  • need to pass through Australia to join a ship as a member of the crew.

Your will also need to meet health and character requirements.

If you need to enter Australia on your way to another country

If you are joining a ship as a crew member


You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances. The results are usually valid for 12 months. Do not arrange a health examination until we ask you to.

Health insurance

You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.

If your country does not have a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, you should ensure your insurance will provide at least the level of coverage required for the purpose of your stay. Your health insurer can be in either Australia or your home country. Attachment A in the health insurance standard template letter (138KB RTF) is a guide to the level of health insurance we will accept as adequate

Your insurance must cover you and any members of your family who come with you to Australia.


You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

This also applies to all dependent family members in the application who are 16 years of age or older.

Debts to the Australian government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

The visa

About this visa

The Transit visa (subclass 771) lets you transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours.

Your transit visa lets you to travel to Australia by air. If you arrive in Australia by air on a transit visa and hold no other visa (other than a Maritime crew visa (subclass 988)), your Maritime crew visa (subclass 988) will cease within five days if you do not sign onto your ship.

What you can do

    This visa lets you:
  • transit through Australia
  • enter and stay in Australia for no longer than 72 hours.

You must not work in Australia.


There is no application charge for this visa.

Other costs

You could have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments and police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.


You and anyone included in your application must be outside Australia when the application is lodged and the visa is granted.

How long the visas lasts

The Transit visa (subclass 771) is valid for 72 hours after your scheduled arrival in Australia. A further Transit visa cannot be granted while you are in Australia.


You can include dependent children on your visa application if they are travelling with you on your passport.

Your obligations

You must not stay in Australia for longer than 72 hours.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    Do I need a transit visa

    You might not need to apply for this visa. Do I need a Transit visa contains more information.

    Your passport

    If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. Your visa is linked to the passport number you used in your application and you need to use the same passport to travel to Australia.

  2. Gather documents

    Prepare your documents

    You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application

    Provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

  3. Apply

    Apply for the visa

    Lodge your application at one of the immigration offices outside Australia.

    Visa application requirements differ from country to country. If you are applying outside Australia, your nearest immigration office outside Australia will tell you exactly how to lodge your application and what documents to provide.

    More information

    There is more information to help you prepare your application, such as certifying and translating documents into English, communicating with us, using a migration agent, authorising another person to receive information from us, and receiving assistance with your application.

  4. After you apply

    Wait for a decision

    After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

    Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

    Provide more information

    You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

    • Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF)

    We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

    If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

    You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

    Provide biometric

    You will be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

    Visa decision

    If the visa is granted, we will let you know:

    • when you can use the visa
    • the visa grant number
    • any conditions attached to the visa.

    You will not have a visa label placed in your passport.

    If the visa is refused, we will send you a letter or email stating why it was refused.

    Tell us of changes

    You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

    More information is available in the Tell us of changes tab.

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount. If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details (86KB PDF) — if you move to a new address or change your passport
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (77KB PDF) — if there are other changes in your circumstances.

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Withdrawing your visa application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include the number we gave you when you applied, if you know it – this could be a file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

If you are 18 years of age or older, you must sign the letter of withdrawal or send a separate email or letter.