apply online right now, without providing any documents and you may be granted automatically if:
- you are a permanent resident
- you have resided in Australia for a total of at least 2 years within the last 5 years
- your name and date of birth have not changed since grant of your last visa.
You can still apply online if you have not resided in Australia for two years in the last five years or you have changed your personal details, however, you must attach your supporting documentation when you apply otherwise there will be delays.
Or, read information about:
- eligibility criteria
the visa, including what happens if you do not meet the 2 in 5 years residence requirement
- the steps to apply, including the documents you might need to provide.
|Stream||75 per cent of applications processed||90 per cent of applications processed|
5 days||48 days|
|157||Unavailable due to low volume of applications.||Unavailable due to low volume of applications.|
16 April 2018 (for month ending
28 February 2018)
Processing times vary.
You must be:
- an Australian permanent resident
- a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
- a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced their citizenship.
See: important information for
New Zealand passport holders.
You must have a valid passport.
You are not eligible for this visa if your last permanent visa was cancelled.
We will not accept an application if you have received a notice that your permanent business visa might be cancelled.
You should not apply for this visa if you hold:
- an Authority To Return (ATR) that was granted between 1 March 1976 and 31 August 1979
- a Return Endorsement (RE) that was issued between September 1979 and 31 December 1986
- a BF-111
Read the information at
Authorities to Return and Return Endorsements.
Both the 155 and 157 visas are permanent visas. They let you undertake all of the activities that your original permanent visa let you undertake:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the travel facility is valid
- apply for
Australian citizenship, if eligible.
The difference between the visas is the length of the travel facility:
- Subclass 155 - up to five years from the date of grant
- Subclass 157 - 3 months from date of grant.
If you apply on paper, you need to pay an additional AUD80.
While they usually do not occur, if there are any additional costs associated with this visa, you are responsible for them.
Estimate the cost of your application
The visa pricing estimator is an online tool that calculates the total cost of your visa.
Visa pricing estimator
If you are in Australia and the travel facility on your current visa has, or is, about to expire, you need to apply for, an RRV before you leave Australia. You may depart Australia without your resident return visa application being finalised however please ensure you have a re-entry visa to return to Australia.
You can apply for the visa outside Australia, but it must be granted before you enter Australia.
The subclass 155 and 157 visas are permanent visas, however, this does not mean that the visa always lasts indefinitely.
- If you do not travel outside Australia the visa lasts indefinitely (it does not end) and you will not become unlawful when the travel facility ends
- If you do travel outside Australia after the travel facility on the visa ends, the visa will end when you leave Australia. So it is best to apply for another Resident Return visa before you leave Australia. You can also apply from overseas.
How long the travel facility lasts
You cannot include family members in your application. Each family member must complete their own application.
You and your family members must comply with Australian laws.