Migrant with permanent residence - documents


There are three types of documents that you need for your citizenship application:

  • identity documents
  • character documents
  • supporting documents.

Identity documents

You must provide the following identity documents:

  • Three documents that all together show your:
    • photograph and signature
    • current residential address
    • birth name, date of birth and gender.
  • If you have changed your name, provide evidence of this including links between names.
  • The Identity declaration completed by a person with the relevant authority and accompanied by an endorsed photograph signed by the same person. If you are applying on a paper application, this is contained in the form.  If you are applying online, a Form 1195 – Identity Declaration (232KB PDF) is required for yourself and each person included in your application form.

Examples of identity documents are available.

Good character documents

You need to provide a penal clearance certificate if, in the time since you were granted a permanent Australian visa:

  • you lived or travelled outside Australia since the age of 18 years
  • the total time spent overseas adds up to 12 months or more.

Provide a penal clearance certificate from every country in which you spent more than 90 days.

We might also ask you to provide a penal clearance certificate in other circumstances.

If you need a penal clearance from Australia, we will arrange it on your behalf. You do not need to pay an additional fee.

Supporting documents

Depending on your application, you might also need to supply:

  • evidence for exemptions, discretions and concessions
  • evidence of the special residence requirement
  • evidence of residence – New Zealand and British migrants
  • documents related to children included in the application.

For a list of supporting documents you will need to provide, see Supporting documents for Australian citizenship applications.

Documents not in English

Documents not in English must be translated.

If you are applying in Australia, use a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters.

If you are applying outside Australia, contact the Australian mission in the country which issued the document for advice on translators.

Include the translation and the document which is not in English with your application.