You must be a permanent resident at the time you apply for citizenship and when a decision is made on your application. You also need to:
- satisfy the residence requirement at the time of your application (or show that you would suffer significant hardship or disadvantage if you had to meet this requirement)
- understand the nature of your application
- have a basic knowledge of the English language
- have an adequate knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship
- be likely to live or continue to live in Australia, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia.
Your Australian citizenship options
If you are 16 or 17 years of age and want to apply for Australian citizenship you need to complete and lodge Form 1290
Application for Australian citizenship – Other situations with the correct fee and all of the required documents.
how to apply for Australian citizenship and
You can also apply on a
paper application form.
Do you think you might already be an Australian citizen?
If you think you are an Australian citizen and you would like confirmation, please contact the Citizenship Information Line.
Phone: 131 880 or the Global Service Centre during business hours Monday to Friday.
If you want proof of your Australian citizenship, you can apply for
evidence of citizenship. You will be asked to provide a range of documents that assist us to confirm your citizenship status.