Bridging visa

If you lodge your Partner application and your current visa ends before you are granted a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820), you can stay in Australia on a Bridging visa A (BVA) while the temporary visa is being processed. You do not have to apply for a BVA - it is automatically granted when you apply for your partner visa. The BVA starts when your temporary visa ends.

A BVA does not let you travel out of Australia and return. If you want to travel out of Australia and return, apply for a Bridging visa B (BVB).

    BVAs and BVBs that are granted to applicants for this visa allow you to:
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia (no government support)
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s health care scheme.

More information is available about bridging visas.