What you can do on the Partner visa (subclass 820)

    The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) lets you:
  • stay in Australia until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801)
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia (no government support)
  • travel outside Australia as many times as you want
  • access up to 510 hours of free English language tuition provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s national health scheme.

New Zealand citizens

New Zealand passport holders should tell the immigration officer at the border that they have a Partner visa. If you do not tell them, you might be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and you will not be eligible for the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).