The permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) lets you:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia’s health care scheme
- receive some social security payments. More information is available on the
Department of Human Services website.
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel outside Australia as many times as you want for five years from the date the visa is granted – you will then need a
Resident Return visa to re-enter Australia
- apply for
Australian citizenship, when eligible.
New Zealand citizens
New Zealand passport holders should tell the immigration officer at the border that they have a Partner visa. If you do not tell them, you might be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444).