Sponsor documents

  • Evidence that the child’s parent is an Australian citizen, a holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Evidence can include a certified copy of:
    • their birth certificate
    • an Australian passport or foreign passport containing evidence of permanent residence or Australian citizenship certificate
    • for New Zealand citizens, evidence of length of residence in Australia and of continuing links with Australia.
  • Evidence that the sponsor has the legal right to decide where the child is to live, such as:
    • certified copies of official legal documents, such as a court-issued custody, access or guardianship order
    • a statutory declaration from each person with a legal responsibility to the child stating that they have no objection to the child’s migration
    • Form 1229 Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125 kB PDF).
      If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a certified copy of the other parent’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or drivers licence) with their photograph and signature.
    • If you are including a child younger than 18 years of age in your application:
      • an AFP National Police Check for your sponsor, if the sponsor has spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age
      • police certificates from each country in which the sponsor has spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since turning 16 years of age.

Provide the original certificates. Your sponsor can keep a copy for their own records.

You do not need these documents if the sponsor already has them as part of adopting the child through an Australian state or territory adoption authority.

  • If the sponsor has paid child support or given an assurance of support for anyone else, the sponsor must provide a statement that shows:
    • the sponsor’s relationship with that other person or those people
    • the dates of lodgement of any sponsorship or nominations (including any current sponsorship) or assurances of support
    • the amount and frequency of child support payments