If you adopted a child when you were outside Australia

    Some people decide to adopt a child while they are living outside Australia without the support of an Australian state and territory adoption authority. These adoptions are called expatriate adoptions. You can sponsor the child for an adoption visa if:
  • the child has not turned 18 years of age when the adoption took place
  • and you:
    • were an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen at the time of the adoption
    • lived outside Australia for more than 12 months before you lodge the visa application
    • did not contrive your residence overseas to avoid Australia’s adoption laws
    • have full and permanent parental rights, with no remaining legal ties between the child and the birth parents
    • can demonstrate that adoption laws in the child’s home country have been complied with.