Applicant documents


  • A completed application form:
    • Form 48ME  - Application to visit Australia for medical treatment (Class UB Medical Treatment) (200 kB PDF).
  • If you are applying in Australia and you do not hold a substantive visa, your application must be accompanied by Form 1507 - (Evidence of Intended Medical Treatment) . This form must be completed and signed by a registered medical practitioner or your visa application will not be valid. A substantive visa is a visa other than a bridging visa, criminal justice visa or an enforcement visa.

Your identity

  • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
    • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.
  • If you are younger than 18 years of age: evidence that every person with a legal right to decide where you live consents to your travel to Australia on this visa. If one or both parents are not coming with you, provide:
    • a statutory declaration giving their permission
    • Form 1229 - Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125 kB PDF). If you use this form, you will have to attach a certified copy of your parent’s or guardian’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or drivers licence) with their photograph and their signature.

 Medical documents

    If you are seeking treatment in Australia or donating an organ:
  • A letter from the treating doctor in Australia outlining your medical condition and the treatment that will be required, including an estimate of the timeframe and cost of this treatment.
  • Evidence you have enough money to support yourself and anyone who comes with you while you are in Australia. This should include letters from any Australians who will be supporting you during your stay.
  • A letter from the treating doctor or hospital saying they are satisfied with arrangements for payment.
  • If you are going to be treated in a public hospital, the letter about payment arrangements must:
    • come from the financial officer or the administration department of the public hospital
    • confirm that no Australian will be disadvantaged in accessing medical services as a result of your treatment.

Character documents

  • If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.