Applicant documents

You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

Provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.


  • Form 1383Application for a temporary visa for retirees (275 KB PDF)
  • Form 1249State/territory sponsorship Investor retirement visa (77 KB PDF).


  • Pay the visa application charge.

Receiving assistance

  • If someone gives you advice or lodges your application for you, that person completes:
    • Form 956Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance (the agent or exempt person completes the form and you must sign it) (133 KB PDF).
  • If you would like someone to receive correspondence from us on your behalf, that person completes:
    • Form 956AAppointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (the recipient completes the form and you must sign it) (116 KB PDF).

Your identity

  • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
      These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.

Your relationships

  • Certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.
  • If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least 12 months (for example, joint bank account statements or billing accounts in joint names).

Your health insurance

  • Evidence that you and your partner (if applicable), hold an adequate health insurance package.

Australian Values Statement

  • An Australian Values Statement signed by everyone included in the application who has turned 18 at the time of the visa application.

Your assets

  • A one-page summary statement outlining the assets and liabilities on a single day in the three months preceding your application. You should identify which assets are to be used to:
    • establish yourself in Australia
    • fund the designated investment
    • generate an annual income.
  • Evidence of ownership and value of the assets included in your summary statement for at least two years preceding your application.

For cash assets:

  • bank statements, at least two years preceding your application and on a single day in the three months preceding your application. All bank statements must have the same date of issue.

For real estate assets:

  • overseas real estate
    • evidence of ownership, such as title deeds
    • evidence of value, such as valuation certificate by an accredited property valuer (valuations by real estate agents who are not accredited property valuers are generally not acceptable)
    • mortgage statements (if applicable) showing balance of amount owed.
  • real estate in Australia
    • certified copy of approval letter for the purchase of real estate in Australia from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB).

For business assets:

  • evidence of ownership and value, including business registration certificate or licence, evidence of share of ownership (this may include evidence of purchase, share registers/company registers/share transfer documents or historical company extracts), annual returns of directors and shareholders or partnership/trust/franchise agreements
  • extracts from financial statements for your business, prepared by an independent accountant to International Accounting Standards, including balance sheet, profit and loss statement and notes to the accounts. Financial statements must be provided for two of the four fiscal years prior to application.

Note: Letters from an independent accountant must be on company letterhead. Any letter prepared in plain paper will not be acceptable.

For personal or business loans:

  • loan agreements, loan statements indicating amount borrowed and repayment schedule, listed in business balance sheet (if loan is to / from a business).

For stocks and bonds:

  • share or bond registers, share / fixed interest securities / debentures certificates, transfer certificates, market value.


  • probate or will.


  • statement from superannuation fund managers.


  • statement from government agency/pension fund stating amount of pension received and date that pension commenced.

Other personal asset items:

  • evidence of ownership and evidence of value, such as valuation certificate by an accredited valuer, for example antiques or jewellery.