Partner visa (subclass 100)

The permanent Partner visa (subclass 100) lets you:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s health care scheme
  • receive some social security payments. More information is available on the Department of Human Services website.
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel outside Australia as many times as you want for five years from the date the visa is granted – you will then need a Resident Return visa to re-enter Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship, when eligible.

New Zealand citizens

New Zealand passport holders should tell the immigration officer at the border that they have a Partner visa. If you do not tell them, you might be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444).