Identity and family relationship documents

Travel documents

Biographical pages (photo pages) of the current passport(s) or travel documents of each visa applicant. If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed, include evidence of the name change.

Birth registration documents

Birth registration documents of each visa applicant, showing the names of both parents. Suitable documents include but are not limited to full birth certificates or family registration books showing both parents’ names. If any child included in the application is adopted, include adoption papers.

Marriage and relationship documents

Marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you, your partner, or anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia. If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated, provide the death certificate, divorce decree absolute, or statutory declaration/separation certificate as applicable.

Genuine relationship evidence

If you are married or in a de facto relationship, evidence of a genuine and continuing relationship with your partner to the exclusion of all others. For de facto relationships, this should include evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least 12 months at time of application. Evidence can include, but is not limited to, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names, and other evidence of cohabitation.

Details of members of the family unit aged 18 years or over

For each member of your family unit who is an applicant and is older than 18 years of age, other than your spouse or partner, a Form 47A Details of Child or Other Dependent Family Member Aged 18 Years or Over (205KB PDF) with supporting documentary evidence of their dependency and relationship to you. Evidence of dependency may include, but is not limited to employment, financial, residential and academic documentation for each member of your family unit.

Evidence of parental responsibility/custody

Evidence of parental permission to grant an Australian visa for applicants younger than 18 years of age where one of the child’s parents is not an applicant in this visa application.

Evidence when the other parent is alive includes a court custody order or Form 1229 Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (242KB PDF) with an official identification document displaying the other parent’s signature. If the other parent is deceased, a death certificate or other official documentation.

For assistance with the documentation required, you can refer to the 'Parental responsibility (custody) for children under 18 years of age)' section of the information about including family members in your application.

Details of members of the family unit who are Australian Citizens

For each member of your family unit who is an Australian citizen a copy of their Australian Passport or Citizenship certificate.