Applicant documents


  • A completed application form at Application for Permanent Employer Sponsored or Nominated Visa which includes a declaration regarding paying for visa sponsorship.
  • For anyone included in the application who is 18 years of age or older and is not your partner:
    • Form 47a - Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over (238 kB PDF).
  • For each person included in the application who is 16 years of age or older:
    • Form 80 - Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment (373 kB pdf).

Receiving assistance

  • If someone gives you advice or lodges your application for you:
    • Form 956 - Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance (133 kB pdf) (the agent or exempt person completes the form and you must sign it).
  • If you would like someone else to receive correspondence from us on your behalf:
    • Form 956a - Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (116 kB pdf) (the recipient completes the form and you must sign it).

Identity documents

  • Copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a copy of evidence of the name change.

Your family relationships

  • A copy of your birth certificate showing both parents’ names. If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must provide a copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
    • family book showing both parents’ names
    • identification document issued by the government
    • court-issued documents that verify your identity.
  • If you are unable to provide one of the above documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.
  • Copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.
  • If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that your relationship is genuine and continuing (for example, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names or joint ownership of major assets).
  • If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or statutory declaration separation documents.

Your children

  • Copies of birth certificates or the family book showing the names of both parents of all your children.
  • If any child included in the application is adopted: copies of the adoption papers.
  • Evidence of financial dependency for all your children aged 18 to 23:
    • a copy of their birth certificate and proof of their relationship to you
    • proof that they live in your household
    • proof that they have been financially dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application.

    You do not need to provide this if your family members currently have a subclass 457 visa that was granted to them on the basis that you are the primary holder of a subclass 457 visa.

  • If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application: documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as:
    • copies of official legal documents, such as a court-issued parental responsibility (custody), access or guardianship order statutory declaration (80 kB pdf) giving their permission
    • Form 1229 - Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125 kB pdf).
      If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a copy of the other parent’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or driver's licence) with their photograph and signature.

    For detailed information about members of your family unit see including family members in your application.

    Character requirements

      Police checks for you and everyone included in your application, whether they are migrating or not, who is at least 16 years of age. When required, you must provide a scanned colour copy:
    • of an Australian national police check for anyone who has spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age
    • of police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age.

    If you or anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country, a scanned colour copy of military service record or discharge papers.