Sponsor documents

  • Evidence that the child’s parent is an Australian citizen, has an Australian permanent resident visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Evidence can include a certified copy of:
    • their birth certificate
    • an Australian passport or foreign passport containing evidence of permanent residence or Australian citizenship certificate
    • for New Zealand citizens, evidence of length of residence in Australia and of continuing links with Australia.
  • Evidence that the sponsor has the legal right to decide where the child is to live, such as:
    • certified copies of official legal documents, such as a court-issued custody, access or guardianship order
    • a statutory declaration from each person with a legal responsibility to the child stating that they have no objection to the child’s migration
    • Form 1229 - Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125 kB PDF).

      If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a certified copy of the other parent’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or drivers licence) with their photograph and signature.

  • If you are including a child younger than 18 years of age in your application:
    • an AFP National Police Check for your sponsor, if the sponsor has spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age
    • police certificates from each country in which the sponsor has spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since turning 16 years of age.
  • Provide the original certificates. Your sponsor can keep a copy for their own records.

  • If the sponsor has paid child support or given an assurance of support for anyone else, the sponsor must provide a statement that shows:
    • the sponsor’s relationship with that other person or those people
    • the dates of lodgement of any sponsorship or nominations (including any current sponsorship) or assurances of support
    • the amount and frequency of child support payments.