Applying for a subsequent temporary protection visa

If you are an IMA and did not apply for an initial Temporary Protection visa (TPV) or Safe Haven Enterprise visa (SHEV) before 1 October 2017, you are no longer able to apply for a TPV or SHEV.

This information is for applicants who hold a TPV or SHEV and want to apply for another TPV or SHEV.

When to apply

You must make a valid TPV or SHEV application before your current TPV or SHEV ceases. If you submit an application while you still hold your TPV or SHEV, your visa and any associated benefits will remain in effect until your application is decided. If you do not apply before your current visa ceases, you may not be able to apply for a subsequent visa.

Who can you include in your application

Members of your family unit, such as a partner, children or other relatives that are dependent on you, can also be included in your TPV or SHEV application. You should provide documents to prove your family relationship when you lodge your application form. If you or the primary applicant is found to engage Australia's protection obligation and you and your  family members  included in your application meet all other visa requirements, you and your family unit can all  be granted a  protection visa.

Further information can be found at form 1497i – Including family members in your refugee, humanitarian or protection visa application

What you need to provide

When applying for your next TPV or SHEV you will be asked whether there have been any changes in personal circumstances, including any changes to your reasons for claiming protection, and details about any overseas travel since you were granted your TPV or SHEV. If we need further information, we will contact you after you lodge your application.

If you were granted your TPV or SHEV as a member of the same family unit of someone who was claiming protection and you are no longer a member of that person’s family unit, you should apply separately online through ImmiAccount. You can provide your own claims for protection and attach them online using ImmiAccount. If we need further information, we will contact you after you lodge your application.

You may need to provide certified copies of supporting documents with your application, if you have not provided them before. These documents need to include English translations from a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

How to apply

Lodge a valid application

To lodge a valid application for a Temporary Protection visa or a Safe Haven Enterprise visa, you must:

  • not be prevented from lodging an application because of any application bars
  • be in Australia
  • pay the visa application charge of AUD 35
  • provide your residential address (this is the address at which you live)
  • indicate whether your reasons for claiming protection have changed since last granted a TPV or SHEV,
  • if applying for a SHEV  indicate an intention to work and or study in a regional area while accessing minimum social security benefits.


You can apply for your subsequent TPV or SHEV online through ImmiAccount before your current TPV or SHEV ceases.  

The online form will guide you to answer the questions we need from you. It has help text if you need support and when you finish your online application, you will come to a page that will prompt you to attach documents and make payment online. At any page you can save your application and go back to it when you are ready. If you apply online, you will be able to check the status of your application through ImmiAccount including any correspondence sent to you by the Department.

By post

If you cannot apply online, you can apply for a subsequent TPV or SHEV using a paper application before your current TPV or SHEV ceases. Form 1505 – Application for a subsequent Temporary Protection visa or Safe Haven Enterprise visa (562KB PDF).

If you are completing paper form 1505 and a question does not apply to you, write 'N/A' which means not applicable. If you cannot answer the question for another reason, explain that on the form. More information on completing the form is available on the first pages of application form 1505.

Once you have filled out your protection visa application online or completed paper form 1505, it is a good idea to review what you are lodging so that you can be sure your application is complete.

Use the checklist in the form to ensure your application is complete. 

Send the completed form by post to:

IMA Protection Support
Department of Home Affairs
GPO Box 9984
Sydney NSW 2001

You cannot lodge a TPV or SHEV application in person at any of our offices.

How to obtain migration assistance

All protection visa applicants are able to engage their own migration agent privately at their own cost (including pro-bono) at any time. Further information on migration agents is available from the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA).

You can also obtain help from some people other than a registered migration agent. These people are called 'exempt persons'.

Under the Migration Act 1958, a person who is not a registered migration agent can provide immigration assistance only where they are:

  • a nominator or sponsor of the applicant
  • a spouse, child, parent, brother or sister  of the applicant
  • an official giving assistance as part of their job as a parliamentarian
  • a member of a diplomatic mission, consular post or international organisation helping to prepare a submission to the Minister and who is giving the help for free
  • a person who prepares or helps prepare a request to the Minister to exercise particular powers, or gives advice about such a request, and does not receive payment or any other kind of reward for the service
  • a lawyer  who only gives immigration legal assistance, which includes things like helping to prepare for proceedings before a court, but does not include giving advice for the purposes of preparing or lodging the visa application.

To appoint a migration agent or one of the people listed above, you should tick the relevant box in the application form. Your migration agent or exempt person should complete form 956—Advice by a migration agent/exempt person providing immigration assistance. This form should be lodged with your application.

Completing this form means that we will contact the person you have authorised instead of contacting you in relation to your application. If you give permission to an authorised person to receive written communication on your behalf, you will need to tick the appropriate box in the form.

If you need to change the details of your migration agent or exempt person, or are no longer using one, you will need to tell us by filling out the same form and sending it to us.

It is a serious offence for anyone who is not a registered migration agent or exempt person to give immigration assistance in Australia and they can face up to a AUD 10 200 fine. If they ask for, or receive a fee or reward for providing immigration assistance, they may face a penalty of 10 years of imprisonment.

If you know someone who has provided immigration assistance and is not a registered migration agent or exempt person you can report them to us through the OMARA website.

How your application will be assessed

We will consider the information you provide in your new application, together with information provided in your previous application, and other information (including information about the country against which you have claimed protection) available at the time you apply for your subsequent TPV or SHEV. If we need further information or an interview, we will contact you after you lodge your application.

We might be able to re-use health, character and security checks conducted during your previous application for your subsequent TPV or SHEV application. We will tell you if you need to do new checks.

Your immigration status

If you apply for a subsequent TPV or SHEV while still holding your TPV or SHEV, your current TPV or SHEV will remain in effect while your application is being processed.

If your TPV or SHEV ceases, and you have not applied for your next TPV or SHEV, you will become unlawful in Australia and you may not be able to apply for a subsequent visa.

If you are granted a subsequent TPV, the TPV or SHEV you currently hold will cease at the time your next TPV or SHEV is granted.

If your subsequent TPV or SHEV application is refused, your TPV or SHEV will cease 35 days after your application is finally determined. If you no longer engage Australia's protection obligations and you do not hold a visa, you are expected to depart Australia.