What if I don’t have a current passport?

Depending on when you were granted your permanent residence visa you may still be able to check your visa details through VEVO​. If you are unable to verify your visa details using VEVO, you may wish to consider obtaining a new foreign passport so we can link electronically your permanent residence visa to your passport.​ This will enable you to check your visa details online and/or send your visa details to third parties.

If you are a permanent resident who arrived in Australia prior to the mid 1980s and have not travelled from Australia since your first arrival, you are unlikely to have an electronic record and a valid passport to access VEVO. If you are a permanent visa holder and not able to renew or obtain a passport, you may be considered eligible for an ImmiCard to assist with creating your electronic record and accessing VEVO.

If you are a temporary resident you must ensure that your passport remains current while you are in Australia. If you are issued with a new passport after your Australian visa is granted, you must notify us of your new passport details to ensure that your record is up-to-date. 

To update your passport details use ​​Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details (260KB PDF) and email to 929@homeaffairs.gov.au.

For more information see Electronic visa record.​