The Department of Home Affairs, led by Secretary Michael Pezzullo, remains responsible for immigration and customs border policy, and the following functions:
- National security and law enforcement policy
- Emergency management, including crisis management and disaster recovery
- Countering terrorism policy and coordination
- Cyber security policy and coordination
- Countering foreign interference
- Critical infrastructure protection
- Multicultural affairs
- Countering violent extremism programs
- Transport Security
The Australian Border Force, led by Commissioner Roman Quaedvlieg, forms an integral part of the new Home Affairs Portfolio, reflecting its role as Australia’s frontline border law enforcement agency. It continues to provide Australia’s customs service, focussing on the facilitation of both goods and people.
For an overview, refer to the organisational structure for the Department of Home Affairs (833KB PDF) and Australian Border Force (657KB PDF).