Entering and leaving Australia

If you need to leave Australia without the student, you must provide us with evidence that:

  • there are compassionate or compelling reasons for doing so, and
  • you have made suitable alternative arrangements for the student’s accommodation, general welfare and support until you return.

The alternative arrangements must be approved by us and the student’s education provider. Discuss your circumstances with the education provider a soon as you know you need to travel.

There are two ways you can make alterative welfare arrangements:

  1. Nominate an alternative student guardian who must be, except in limited circumstances, a parent or relative aged 21 years or over. To do this, use Form 157N Nomination of a student guardian. This form outlines documentation you need to provide when nominating a student guardian. Send this form, the education provider’s approval (in a letter or email) and the required documentation to your nearest office before you leave Australia.
  2. The student’s education provider can take responsibility for the student's welfare by issuing a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter which will state the start and end dates for approval of welfare arrangements.

We will tell you if the alternative welfare arrangements have been approved. If we decide that the welfare arrangements are not suitable, you cannot leave Australia without your nominating student(s).

If you need to leave Australia permanently and your student needs to continue to study, new welfare arrangements must be approved.

If you do not comply with the conditions of your Student Guardian visa (subclass 590), your visa might be cancelled, and we could also cancel the nominating student’s visa.