Applicant documents

    When you apply for your visa, you must either:
  • produce a valid Medicare card or receipt of enrolment with Medicare, or
  • provide evidence that you and anyone included in your application have arranged health insurance in Australia.


  • A completed application form:
  • For anyone included in the application who is 18 years of age or older and is not your partner:
    • Form 47a - Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over (238KB PDF).
  • For each person included in the application who is 16 years of age or older:
    • Form 80 - Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment (373KB PDF)

Receiving assistance

    Complete these forms where you are updating an existing application or lodging a paper application:
  • If someone gives you advice or lodges your application for you:
    • Form 956 - Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance (133KB PDF). (the agent or exempt person completes the form and you must sign it)
  • If you would like someone else to receive correspondence from us on your behalf:
    • Form 956a - Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (116KB PDF) (the recipient completes the form and you must sign it).

Your identity

  • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
    • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.
  • A certified copy of your birth certificate showing both parents' names. If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must provide a certified copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
    • family book showing both parents' names
    • identification document issued by the government
    • court-issued documents that verify your identity.
    • A national identity card if you have one.
    • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

If you are unable to provide any of these documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.

Your relationships

  • Certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.
  • If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least 12 months (for example, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names or joint ownership of major assets).
  • If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a certified copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or statutory declaration separation documents.
  • If your partner does not intend to come to Australia with you: a statement explaining why and whether they intend to join you in the future.

Your children

  • Certified copies of birth certificates or the family book showing the names of both parents of all your dependent children.
  • Evidence of financial dependency for all your family members aged 18 or older (such as evidence of current studies):
    • a certified copy of their birth certificate and proof of their relationship to you
    • proof that they live in your household
    • proof that they have been financially dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application.
  • If any dependent child included in the application is adopted: certified copies of the adoption papers.
  • If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application, you will need documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as:
    • certified copies of official legal documents, such as a court-issued parental responsibility (custody), access or guardianship order
    • statutory declaration (80KB PDF) giving their permission
    • Form 1229 - Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125KB PDF).
      If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a certified copy of the other parent’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or driver's licence) with their photograph and signature.


  • If you are required to undergo health examinations, you must organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application and include your health identifier (HAP ID) when completing your visa application form.
  • If you have confirmed that you do not need to undergo health examinations by using My Health Declarations, please indicate on your online application form that you have organised your health examinations when lodging your visa application (as you are considered to have met this requirement).


  • Evidence that everyone included in the visa application has applied for an Australian Federal Police National Police Check if they are at least 16 years of age and have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age.

    The AFP National Police Check Application Form is available from the Australian Federal Police website - either an online form or paper form. Visa applicants should tick Code 33 in Section 8 of the form. Fingerprints are not required.

    You will be issued with a 'National Police Check' certificate which will have 'Complete Disclosure' in the heading if your AFP police check application is successful.

  • Police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age. Provide the original certificates and keep a copy for yourself.
    • See Character requirements - How to obtain police certificates
    • If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.

English language ability

The results of a specified English language test (IELTS, Occupational English Test (OET), TOEFL iBT, or Pearson Test of English Academic) that you took less than three years before lodging your application. You can also provide the results of a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test, but the test must have been undertaken on or after 1 January 2015 and before lodging your application.

You do not need to provide documents to show your English language proficiency if you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States or the Republic of Ireland and you have a valid passport from one of those countries.

Evidence of qualifications

  • Academic transcript for your qualification in the discipline of Engineering
  • Letter of completion (including your course completion date) for your qualification in the discipline of Engineering.