Sponsor documents

  • Evidence that the child’s parent is an Australian citizen, a holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Evidence can include a certified copy of:
    • their birth certificate
    • an Australian passport or foreign passport containing evidence of permanent residence or Australian citizenship certificate
    • for New Zealand citizens, evidence of length of residence in Australia and of continuing links with Australia.
  • Photocopies of one of the following documents to show the sponsor’s employment during the past two years:
    • an Australian income or overseas tax assessment notice
    • a letter from the sponsor’s employer confirming length of employment and annual salary payslips
    • if the sponsor is self-employed or self-funded from other sources, business documents or a letter from the sponsor’s accountant
  • The sponsor and their partner must both provide:
    • AFP National Police Checks, if the sponsor or their partner has spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age
    • police certificates from each country in which the sponsor and their partner have spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since turning 16 years of age
  • If the sponsor has paid child support or given an assurance of support for anyone else, the sponsor must provide a statement that shows:
    • the sponsor’s relationship with that other person or those people
    • the dates of lodgement of any sponsorship or nominations (including any current sponsorship) or assurances of support
    • the amount and frequency of child support payments.

Note 1: Provide the original documents with the application, and keep a copy for yourself.

Note 2: You do not need these documents if the sponsor already has them as part of adopting the child through an Australian state or territory adoption authority.