Privately arranged adoptions

Australian state and territory adoption authorities do not usually support privately arranged adoptions from either in or outside Australia, including the adoption of children who are relatives. They are not able to help children or sponsors meet the requirements for granting a visa to an adopted child.

Adoptive parents need to ensure that any privately arranged adoption is legal. If you want to adopt a child from outside Australia without using an Australian state and territory adoption authority, it is strongly recommended that you first seek legal advice both in Australia and in the country where the child lives. This visa cannot be granted to a child who does not meet the requirements for this visa, even if an adoption is legal in the child’s home country.