If you adopted a child when you were outside Australia

Some people decide to adopt a child while they are living outside Australia without the support of an Australian state and territory adoption authority. These adoptions are called expatriate adoptions. You can sponsor a child adopted outside Australia for an Adoption visa if the child has not turned 18 years of age and you:

  • were an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen at the time of the adoption
  • lived outside Australia for more than 12 months before you lodge the visa application
  • did not contrive your residence overseas to avoid Australia’s adoption laws
  • have full and permanent parental rights, with no remaining legal ties between the child and the birth parents
  • complied with the adoption laws in the child’s home country