Other evidence would include
- joint bank account statements showing a history of transactions
- billing accounts in joint names
- statutory declarations from third parties (particularly from independent third parties who have dealt with you as a couple over time, for example real estate agent for your rental, tax agent, neighbour)
- proof of their relationship to you (if birth certificates and marriage certificates are not available, an explanation of why they are not, should be provided with the best available secondary evidence of the relationship)
- if the child is not the biological child of any parent who is part of the application, evidence of the lawful adoption of that child
- Evidence of financial dependency for all your children aged between 18 and 23:
- proof that they live in your household (for example, their driver’s license, a billing history to the address for a mobile phone, car insurance/registration history at the address)
- proof that they have been financially dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application (for example, evidence of whatever income they receive, a statement for their bank account for the last 12 months, statutory declarations from independent third parties known to the family, a statutory declaration from the applicant as to the nature of the relationship)
- If relevant, a copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
- family register document
- identification document issued by the government.
Custody of children
If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application: documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as:
If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a copy of the other parent’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or drivers licence) with their photograph and signature.
Additional requirements for certain applicants in Australia when applying
If you are in Australia when you make this application and you do not hold a current visa, or you hold a Bridging visa, additional requirements apply.
Your visa can only be granted if there are factors beyond your control which caused you not to be the holder of a visa and there are compelling reasons to grant the visa.
You need to attach a submission to your application detailing the factors that caused you not to hold a visa and why these factors were beyond your control, and what the compelling reasons are for granting you a visa.
The Health Requirement
To lodge a complete application it is important that any necessary health assessment is finalised prior to lodging your application. Information on whether a health assessment is required is available.
See: Health examinations.
Please ensure you consider both your and your dependants intentions to work and study in Australia carefully when determining whether health assessments are required. Otherwise additional health assessment might be requested which will delay the processing of your application. If a health assessment is required, please complete the
My Health Declarations (MHD) form. By following the content of the website you will be able to download an 'eMedical' referral letter.
We are progressively implementing electronic health processing for all health processing. Where electronic health processing is available, the 'eMedical' referral letter should be taken to the medical appointment. See
electronic health processing for locations where electronic health processing is available.
In those locations where electronic health processing is not yet available, you can still undertake health processing before application lodgement, but you must take both the “eMedical” referral letter and a print out of the MHD form with you to your appointment.
The Character Requirement
Each applicant aged 17 years or older must provide:
military service records or discharge papers if they have served in the armed forces of any country in the last 10 years:
- The records must attest to the good character of the person, not be a mere statement of service.
- Police certificates are also required for the countries of service.
If the information associated with your application needs to be updated, please do so through your ImmiAccount. The processing centre responsible for processing your application can be contacted through
firstname.lastname@example.org. If you email this address please read the auto response to be advised of response timeframes and instances where a reply might not be available.
When communicating with us about your visa application, you should correctly identify yourself to enable us to quickly identify and locate your visa application. You should include:
- your name (as provided in your visa application)
- your date of birth
- your Transaction Reference Number (TRN) (if lodged electronically)
- the client number given to you by us, or, if you do not have a client number, the department’s file number or the application receipt number.