Passenger Movement Charge

Passengers on board may be required to pay a Passenger Movement Charge on departure. This charge is AUD 60. Children under 12 years of age are exempt.  For further information, including a complete list of exemptions, see Passenger Movement Charge


Prior to departure from Australia, Department of Home Affairs clearance is required. This is available at any appointed port. The Department of Home Affairs should be contacted in advance to avoid unnecessary delay. It is an offence to depart without clearance.

Requirements for departure

  • Passports for all persons on board
  • Masters of Australian or imported vessels may be required to 'enter' the vessel for export if the craft is to be sold or positioned overseas.

Registering craft - the Registrar of Ships

Masters of foreign craft not registered under the law of a foreign country must make a declaration about the nationality of their craft when leaving Australia.

All Australian craft or vessels, irrespective of size or type whether owned by an Australian citizen or by an Australian company, must be registered before leaving Australia. State registration does not meet this requirement.

It is necessary to apply for registration of your craft several weeks before leaving Australia. Unregistered craft will not receive Australian diplomatic protection while overseas.

You can do this by contacting the Registrar of Ships at Australian Maritime Safety Authority.

Ship's gear

Australian residents who are taking articles out of Australia which they already own, including yachting equipment, may require proof of prior ownership on return to avoid paying duty.

These goods should be listed for the Department of Home Affairs at your port of departure.

Embarking animals

Most countries require animals on board to have health certificates from their countries of origin.

Australian residents are advised not to take their pets overseas because of biosecurity and other matters they may encounter visiting certain countries and on return to Australia. However, if you wish to take an animal on your trip you should consult with the Government/s of your intended for their biosecurity requirements.

Heritage items

It is illegal to take out of Australia, without a permit, items identified as being of great importance to Australia's national heritage. These items can include a vast array of objects from works of art and archaeological finds, to objects associated with our history or technological development. Further information can be sourced from the Department of Communications website.


Exportation of endangered and threatened (animal and plant) wildlife and Australian native wildlife is strictly regulated and in some cases is illegal. Information and permits regarding the exportation of wildlife and products made from them is available from:

Environment Australia
Telephone: +61 2 6274 1900
Fax: +61 2 6274 1921

All permits must be obtained before you leave Australia. Severe penalties apply for offences against the Wildlife Protection Act.

Travel to Christmas, Cocos (Keeling) and Norfolk Islands

For immigration purposes yachts travelling to or from Cocos (Keeling) and Christmas Islands and the mainland of Australia are deemed to have not left Australia if their trip is within 30 days of departure from the mainland Australia or these islands. Persons on board these yachts must ensure that their visa covers the entire period of their stay including travel time between the mainland of Australia and these islands. Department of Home Affairs and Department of Agriculture clearances are required on both arrival and departure.

Persons travelling to Norfolk Island are immigration cleared both on arrival and departure on the mainland Australia and Norfolk Island. Therefore, they must have a multiple entry visa for return to the mainland Australia. Department of Home Affairs and Department of Agriculture clearances are required on departure from and arrival to the mainland Australia.