Living in the community

This page contains information about services you might receive while living in the community,

  • as an illegal maritime arrival (IMA) living temporarily in the Australian community
  • while in community placement or on a Bridging visa
  • while lodging or awaiting an outcome of a protection visa application.

It also describes the behaviour expected of you.  

Bridging visas

A Bridging visa E (BVE) is a short-term, temporary visa that allows you to stay in Australia lawfully while you finalise your immigration matter or make arrangements to depart. Like any visa, there will be certain conditions attached to your bridging visa that you must follow. If you are an IMA, you will be granted a BVE while your protection claims are assessed.   

If you are living in the Australian community on a BVE, you should engage with us before your BVE expires. In some cases, you might need to come to an immigration office to be granted another BVE.

Updating your details

It is important for you to keep your contact details current with us. This includes the address where you live and your phone number so we can contact you with important information about your immigration status. Remember, this is also a condition of holding a bridging visa and being able to live in the community.

You can update your details online if your application is available in ImmiAccount.

Alternatively, you can provide information to us by sending the forms to the address mentioned on the forms.

Work rights

IMAs living in the community on a BVE are generally permitted to work. If you are unsure whether you have permission to work, check your most recent visa grant notice. You will be allowed to work if your BVE does not have a ‘no work’ condition (condition 8101).

Your BVE  will be valid until your application for a TPV or SHEV has been decided. You will have permission to work and access to Medicare and other services.

If you do not have the right to remain in Australia, you must depart Austalia.

Code of Behaviour

A Code of Behaviour applies to all adult IMAs who are considered for the grant of a BVE by the Minister.

The code describes how people are expected to behave while they are living in the Australian community on a bridging visa. It also describes behaviour that is not tolerated in Australia.

The code of behaviour must be signed and witnessed. You will need to sign Form 1443Code of Behaviour for Subclass 050 Bridging (General) (316KB PDF).

You can also read form 1444i—Code of Behaviour for Subclass 050 Bridging (General) visa holders Supporting Information (192KB PDF), which is available in the following languages:

Family safety

Information about family safety for people who are new to Australia is available. This information explains Australia’s laws about domestic and family violence, sexual assault and forced marriage, in many community languages.

Voluntary returns

You can choose to return home or to your country of lawful permanent residence at any time. If you are thinking about returning home, you might be able to get assistance from the International Organization for Migration (IOM). The type of assistance is based on your individual circumstances.