What will happen if I stay in Australia after my visa has ended?

 You become an 'unlawful non-citizen' and this can cause problems for you, such as:

  • you risk being detained and removed from Australia
  • you might have to pay the Australian Government for the cost of removing you from Australia
  • you could be banned from returning to Australia for up to three years – this is called a re-entry ban.

If your visa has ended, contact the Community Status Resolution Service (CSRS). You can do this anonymously and ask general information, or you can speak to the operator in more detail about your circumstances.